Electric Trolling Motor advice.

Doug N

I have a 2018 Starcraft/Starweld 16T. Fully loaded weight approx. 2000lbs. I want a bow mount with remote control and function to keep me at the same place. jigging for perch etc. and for trolling for trout inshore Lake O and finger lakes. The trolling motor guide say 55lbs thrust for my boat but I am not sure it's powerful enough for actual trolling for hrs at a time. Price range up to 1500.00

Had a 17 Starcraft several years ago(late 90's boat)-aluminum came with the 55 as part of the factory package.   Was more than adequate to handle things.  But like everything else, no one ever complains about too much power, so take it from there.

A 12 volt 55 pound thrust is enough power for you but your battery wouldn't last long at all.you would most likely have to carry 2 batteries to get you through a full day. So you might as well get a 80 pound 24 volt motor.  The batteries for my 24 volt will last for a couple days of bass fishing. I am not sure how long they would last for trolling. My guess is they would be drained in less than 4 hours. Much longer if you are just using the electric to steer while trolling 

Edited by shawn393
  • Like 1

With trolling 24v better than 12v.   Minnkota Power Drive is 70 lbs in 24v and should be in budget.  Power Drive doesn’t offer universal sonar or foot pedal option.  If you want those then you go to Terrova and likely over budget.  If you buy a 12v, it is likely you would wish you got the 24v.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mr 580 said:

With trolling 24v better than 12v.   Minnkota Power Drive is 70 lbs in 24v and should be in budget.  Power Drive doesn’t offer universal sonar or foot pedal option.  If you want those then you go to Terrova and likely over budget.  If you buy a 12v, it is likely you would wish you got the 24v.

I was looking at that exact motor, price is right and has the options I would like. I saw a you tube video and the guy said the power drive are a pain to deploy? My boat is set up with a bow mount cord plug, do you know if that will accept 24 volt? I'm electronically challenged lol. When I buy one is there anything else I need to buy for mounting? 

What do you mean by universal sonar? No foot pedal means strictly reliant on remote control?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have a Sea Nymph GLS 175 with a 70 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I use it for early spring browns. Also use it heavily for bass and walleye on Sandy Pond. Last year I put on a Motor Guide XI3 which is functionally the same as a Minnkota terrova. It is a 52lb.54 shaft 12v that was on sale at Cabellas. Paid $949 and got a 50 rebate on top so final cost $900. I use it as an autopilot for spring browns with the main motor pushing and the XI3 steering the course on low power. Easily gets about 5 hrs out of a good battery doing that but I keep two on board. Has the "anchor"function that works great for bass on a windy day.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Wally, universal sonar is a transducer in the trolling motor so you can run a bow mount fish finder and no foot pedal means you just run off remote ( I run my Terrova just with remote and just have foot pedal stowed as only a backup).

Doug N , you need to see if you can have two 12volt batteries wired for 24 volts.  If you are “electronically challenged” consider having someone install for you so nothing gets fried.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 12:02 PM, Doug N said:

I have a 2018 Starcraft/Starweld 16T. Fully loaded weight approx. 2000lbs. I want a bow mount with remote control and function to keep me at the same place. jigging for perch etc. and for trolling for trout inshore Lake O and finger lakes. The trolling motor guide say 55lbs thrust for my boat but I am not sure it's powerful enough for actual trolling for hrs at a time. Price range up to 1500.00

I sell/Install quite a few Minn Kota Power Drive 24v 70lb thrust 60" shaft w/iPilot. I think they retail for about $1450. No foot peddle just a remote. I think that would be plenty for your boat. I actually have one in stock right now. Remember you'll also need a battery charger, 60amp circuit breaker, and a plug (unless you hard wire it).

This one right here:

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/freshwater-trolling-motors/powerdrive?id=13301

Edited by Yankee Troller

22 hours ago, lrg355 said:

I have a Sea Nymph GLS 175 with a 70 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I use it for early spring browns. Also use it heavily for bass and walleye on Sandy Pond. Last year I put on a Motor Guide XI3 which is functionally the same as a Minnkota terrova. It is a 52lb.54 shaft 12v that was on sale at Cabellas. Paid $949 and got a 50 rebate on top so final cost $900. I use it as an autopilot for spring browns with the main motor pushing and the XI3 steering the course on low power. Easily gets about 5 hrs out of a good battery doing that but I keep two on board. Has the "anchor"function that works great for bass on a windy day.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Looking to do the same with a 195 I picked up a month ago.  Want to do 24v but where to put the batteries?