Starcraft/Starweld Boats customer service

Doug N

Trying to get information on my boat. They don't return calls or emails sent to the only link they provide which is Marketing. I'm looking for wiring diagrams and info for my specific model. Am I wasting my time trying? Any suggestions? I'm about ready to sell the damm boat I'm so mad.

Called again and let them have it. If they do not reply today I will go on a anti starcraft, starweld, smokercraft campain. I'll keep you posted.

Don’t you know nowadays it’s supposed to be give me your money and shut up

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Doug N said:

Thank You Kwall, I'll call him in the morning. 

He called back just after lunch. He said they leave customer service to the dealers. I told him they are loosing sales because of that policy, people are complaining about it, a lot of us do our own work and could use better information than the generic owners manual. He said he was unaware of this and will pass on to his manager. I doubt they will change anything. So  I;m not holding my breath. 

Oh and the dealer I bought from dropped them and are selling something else, less than 1 year from my purchase. When I talked with them they referred me to another dealer a few hrs; from me. Won't buy from them again.

Don't forget about Sylvan, that is part of the group. A few years ago I was looking into buying a used Starcraft. They wanted $500 to transfer the warranty to a new owner for a two year old boat. Didn't buy it, crazy company.

Called again and let them have it. If they do not reply today I will go on a anti starcraft, starweld, smokercraft campain. I'll keep you posted.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 10/20/2020 at 3:32 PM, Doug N said:

If you do that on your own, they will just let you scream until you are tired and you will not have changed a thing.

A much better way is to let the big guns fire for you.

Make sure you are a BoatUS member and write a letter to the editor explaining your problem with the Starcraft company. They will listen to you and if they think your complaint is reasonable they can and will contact the starcraft people. Dependent on the reaction of starcraft they may publicize your letter in their magazine. And that is something that boating manufacturers can ill afford, so they will try to make things  more to your satisfaction.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 3:34 PM, Doug N said:

He called back just after lunch. He said they leave customer service to the dealers. I told him they are loosing sales because of that policy, people are complaining about it, a lot of us do our own work and could use better information than the generic owners manual. He said he was unaware of this and will pass on to his manager. I doubt they will change anything. So  I;m not holding my breath. 

Oh and the dealer I bought from dropped them and are selling something else, less than 1 year from my purchase. When I talked with them they referred me to another dealer a few hrs; from me. Won't buy from them again.

I don't understand why the dealer you purchased the boat from won't help. When you buy anything you are buying that relationship. That should be your ****, frustrating I'm sure. Best of luck!

• Like 1

I can say the dealer I bought my from has went way beyond what most dealer would, boat was 1 yr old , started went out , every dealer was a 2 week out , he got me one and installed it the next day , then I crack the hull , he went to bat for me and when we figure out the problem I drop the boat off at Starcraft and was back on the water the next week with a new hull , even 7 year later he helps if he can , just this year I had a fuel problem and he talked me through it to find out the problem and sent me the part to fix it when ever place around me told me no parts are available , a good dealer will help you even after a purchase. 

The OP was looking for a wiring diagram.   I bought a new Fishmaster and was looking for a wiring diagram (true schematic).  My dealer helped with what he could which was helpful (wire color detail list and where it goes) but not what I hoped for.  I was told starcraft won't provide / doesn't have the schematic that I wanted....even for the dealer.  With that said, I didn't expect to get one.  Hypothetically, if I call Ram about a wiring diagram to my truck I'm going to get the same response.....and a dealer won't be any better.  At best I'll find 3rd party info (and have to pay for it), and only then because so many are made that someone decided to publish info for $ (compared to my specific model of Fishmaster one given year).  

I'm thinking people are going to find about the same level with most boat MFG's unless you are custom.  I'm not defending smokercraft mfg though.  They did some really dumb things on my boat that are just lazy but easily remedied to my liking (2" sharp tipped screws through two 1/8" or less pieces of aluminum to hold them together....really?  no safety issue there reaching behind to run wires  Endless aluminum drillings not cleaned up, plus a bunch of steel rivet cores in the bilge that I think I finally picked out completely as they migrated to the drain hole:swear: .  ) 

I knew I was buying a platform to start from and I would tweak from there.  I hope to never have a significant issue that I can't work out myself or with my dealer somewhat locally.  

Dealer service has been an issue for the boating industry going back to the 1970s at least.  This same story, dealers don't stay with the line, companies go in and out of business, companies get bought up by other companies.  Perhaps the latest example is Evinrude leaving the market this year, and what happens down the road a couple years?  I have two E-TECs myself so it is a concern that gets more of a concern for me every year.  Older long time dealers continue to age out or just go out of business at least in my part of the world.  Or on older equipment they just tell you they don't want to tackle it(I am talking a twenty year old outboard).

With how expensive new product has become, you would think things would be better but they never have been.  Like everything else there are exceptions to that and you should frequent those dealers and businesses.  

Good post MCF ! Part of the problem is the seasonal nature of the business [ having to run the " store " on maybe a 6+ month on a 12 month business cost ] Having to keep mechanics sales staff etc. unless there is a secondary market eg snow mobiles etc.

Competition changed big time when Yamaha and Honda come on the market !

It amazes me that calls are not returned ! When a business does not return my call they have lost me as a customer and it is like sites like this that spread the word good or bad