Thru-Hull Transducers

EKoselny

I think I am ready to pull the trigger on getting a thru-hull transducer. I have never felt like ever got a great sonar picture from my transom mounted unit, even when it was new. I dont think I have ever been able to mark fish or bait while on plane. Any recommendations on thru-hull units? I have a Lowrance HDS-9 GEN3 unit. I was thinking the Airmar B60 is the way to go?

Also, this year was the first year I have ever kept my boat in a slip, I have always trailered it until this year. The amount of algae and lime/calcium build up on the hull when I pulled the boat was unbelievable.  Even the lower unit was covered in lime/calcium deposits. Will the same build-up happen on a thru-hull transducer? I am concerned this may be a problem?

Thanks for any info. 

Barrier coat the hull and then paint it if you want to prevent growth. I use a ablative paint. You will not get any growth on the thru hull as it is located midship and will not see anysunlight which is where your algae is at it's worst. Now I just paint the transom ,waterline and bow area , pretty much where the sun hits the hull , the bottom will get touch ups if needed but nothing grows there without the sunlight.I also used blue paint for my first coat over the barrier coat the covered that with black , now I know where to touch up if need be.   Not sure if you will be marking fish or bait while on a high speed plane. Never had any luck with that on my 3 thru hulls in various boats over the last few years.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

14 hours ago, EKoselny said:

I think I am ready to pull the trigger on getting a thru-hull transducer. I have never felt like ever got a great sonar picture from my transom mounted unit, even when it was new. I dont think I have ever been able to mark fish or bait while on plane. Any recommendations on thru-hull units? I have a Lowrance HDS-9 GEN3 unit. I was thinking the Airmar B60 is the way to go?

Also, this year was the first year I have ever kept my boat in a slip, I have always trailered it until this year. The amount of algae and lime/calcium build up on the hull when I pulled the boat was unbelievable.  Even the lower unit was covered in lime/calcium deposits. Will the same build-up happen on a thru-hull transducer? I am concerned this may be a problem?

Thanks for any info. 

We install about 20 thru-hull transducers a season. You wont be disappointed. If your boat has a trailer I'd recommend an AIRMAR B60. If you can get away with a fairing block I'd recommend an AIRMAR B744. 

As for the growth on the boat we offer a service at Krenzer Marine where we clean that off with an acidic solution. We charge $14/ft for that and do about 100 boats every fall. We also offer bottom painting services for $100/ft. That includes prep, 3 coats of barrier coat, and 2 coats of bottom paint.

If you have any questions call me at Krenzer Marine and direct yourself to Service. My name is Rick.

19 minutes ago, Yankee Troller said:

We install about 20 thru-hull transducers a season. You wont be disappointed. If your boat has a trailer I'd recommend an AIRMAR B60. If you can get away with a fairing block I'd recommend an AIRMAR B744. 

As for the growth on the boat we offer a service at Krenzer Marine where we clean that off with an acidic solution. We charge $14/ft for that and do about 100 boats every fall. We also offer bottom painting services for $100/ft. That includes prep, 3 coats of barrier coat, and 2 coats of bottom paint.

If you have any questions call me at Krenzer Marine and direct yourself to Service. My name is Rick.

I can vouch for the hull cleaning they do. I took my all white 2014 21' DC to them last year and they did a great job, it came out spotless, like new. This year I applied Aurora 721 to the bottom (2 coats) of the new boat we purchased form them in June, and the scum on the bottom melted away with just a spray bottle of slimy grimy. Either way there is an option to return your hull to like new with out painting, and yes, my boat sits Hugh's for the entire year.