Reels for wire

• 2 months later...

I am looking for new dipsy reels, and have read that the saltist reels with the high speed retrieve may not be a good choice when reeling in a large salmon as it does not have enough horsepower? I read where a 4.2 ratio would be much better with this setup? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

In reels, torque and speed are an inverse relationship, you can’t get both - it’s simple physics of mechanisms. Reels don’t create power, they use the power you supply. I don’t recommend high speed reels for rigs used to tow heavier gear. It’s like riding a bike up a hill in a high gear - too steep a hill in too high a gear and you struggle.

High speed reels are better used for light rigger and planer board lines. Longer (heavier) weighted lines and big divers pulling attractors need torque not speed.

8 hours ago, John E Powell said:

In reels, torque and speed are an inverse relationship, you can’t get both - it’s simple physics of mechanisms. Reels don’t create power, they use the power you supply. I don’t recommend high speed reels for rigs used to tow heavier gear. It’s like riding a bike up a hill in a high gear - too steep a hill in too high a gear and you struggle.

High speed reels are better used for light rigger and planer board lines. Longer (heavier) weighted lines and big divers pulling attractors need torque not speed.

JEP;

First off I too have been using Diawa Saltist high speed 30 series reels for the last 8 years on my Talora roller wire rods.

IMHO, I understand what you are saying, & it is true, however, I either walk backwards or pump the rod & reel down to gain line,  I do not reel the fish in straight off of the reel as you are suggesting, so the reduced reeling power of the higher gear ratios doesn't come into play for me.  I much prefer the high speed reels for getting gear back to the boat when checking lines or missed bites.

good luck

John

• 3 weeks later...