Pheasants

I have been posting my pheasant hunting results in the waterfowl topic and decided to start a new one. Since I was a kid, I have always loved to hunt birds. Waterfowl and upland birds take up most of my time. Since I returned from our Maine moose trip, I have hunted pheasants for the last 5 days. In that time, me and some friends have been fortunate to harvest 13 roosters over my lab Hank. He is wiped out from all the hunting  and is well deserving of the next 3 days off as my vacation ends and work begins again. Sunday will find us sharing a goose blind with close family and my brothers lab Raider.  Good luck and safe hunting

• Like 2

I have had a great time chasing the Pheasants around this year with my Brittany. I took him as much as I could last year without any real training on birds and we still managed to kick up a few. I Worked on pigeons and Chukar over the summer with him and the improvement he has made is impressive. He is 18 months old and learning more each time. He has a had a few fantastic points on pheasant and Woodcock. Dudley is my first birddog, and I don't think now that I will ever not have a birddog, it's so enjoyable to watch them wok and figure it out!

BD2A358B-91FC-4D94-97CD-B22990F37C16.jpeg

928914D2-40E0-43AA-B1FA-0F71CE371691.jpeg

FCA5978F-9B35-4F1F-BAA4-9DE1D5F43248.jpeg

1ABB0118-EC19-40CD-9D62-82E99810AD5D.jpeg

ABB09BBE-5E8D-4A41-814F-42BEC987DE63.jpeg

476063DF-0580-4E9F-AB08-DD9E3AA67963.jpeg

Edited by dawsonscreek
  • Like 4

I owned Brittany's for 18 years before we got Hank. I still have a 13 year old (retired) Brit at home. They are awesome dogs for upland birds and waterfowl. I brought my first Brit to Saskatchewan for grouse and ended up hunting ducks and geese with him all week instead. He was a great versatile hunting dog. I have traveled to hunt and fish all over the country and have to say that the most exiting thing I do is watching my dog perform while bird hunting, whether its upland or waterfowl. Good luck and safe hunting.

3 hours ago, thejigger said:

I owned Brittany's for 18 years before we got Hank. I still have a 13 year old (retired) Brit at home. They are awesome dogs for upland birds and waterfowl. I brought my first Brit to Saskatchewan for grouse and ended up hunting ducks and geese with him all week instead. He was a great versatile hunting dog. I have traveled to hunt and fish all over the country and have to say that the most exiting thing I do is watching my dog perform while bird hunting, whether its upland or waterfowl. Good luck and safe hunting.

Thanks! I am really hoping to hunt waterfowl with him but he struggles with retrieving right now. Tied some “trained retrieve” sold over the summer but didn’t make much progress. He will fetch bumpers all day but struggles with birds, especially pheasants. 

My son and I hunted today with Hank and killed 1 rooster. I say killed, Hank rooted out a wing broke bird that he chased down and caught. A beautiful morning to spend with my son and dog. My son had to be home in time for a zoom class and he was the only student to attend. Good luck and safe hunting

• Like 1

I've been hunting pheasants a couple times since my last post and have been doing great. Couldn't hunt till 9 am on Tuesday morning and it heated up very fast, but was able to connect.  The heat we have had for the last week is dangerous for dogs. I hunted this morning and killed a rooster over Hank. It is a pleasure to watch him both waterfowl and upland hunting. Good luck and safe hunting

• Like 1

I hunted Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for pheasants. Monday I killed one and Hank caught one, another wing broke bird. Tuesday I hunted with my brother and nephew and we killed 6 birds. I killed a buck on state land yesterday, over a decoy, and then killed 2 pheasants over Hank in the afternoon. It was a very busy 3 days and I enjoyed every minute. Good luck and safe hunting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thejigger said:

I hunted Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for pheasants. Monday I killed one and Hank caught one, another wing broke bird. Tuesday I hunted with my brother and nephew and we killed 6 birds. I killed a buck on state land yesterday, over a decoy, and then killed 2 pheasants over Hank in the afternoon. It was a very busy 3 days and I enjoyed every minute. Good luck and safe hunting.

Can't beat that for a "weekend"!!

Hunted deer on Sunday morning on state land and saw nothing. Decided to hunt pheasants in the afternoon and killed 1 rooster. Went pheasant hunting this morning and on the drive in to the area, in the dark, I saw a rooster along the road. I tried to flush it into the area I can hunt but it flew across the road instead. Hank and I walked to one of our favorite fields, but saw nothing. On the way out I decided to hunt the field I saw the bird next to on the drive in. We didnt make it 100 yards in and Hank put up 2 roosters that were together. I pulled a double, killing one bird and breaking a wing on the other. Hank was hot on his trail and tracked him down in no time. Looking forward to duck season re-opening this Saturday. Good luck and safe hunting.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hunted pheasants in the afternoon on Christmas day. I'm not very good at sitting around the house and my wife was cool with it. I took Hank to some state land in the hope that a rooster or two survived the gun season. No luck. It's a pleasure watching the dog work. Here are some pics of Hank this fall20201221_044555.jpeg20201116_142834.jpeg20201104_075624.jpeg20201020_182033.jpeg20201018_083246.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J737U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Took 2 friends and a 14 year old to the preserve yesterday. The 14 year old had never killed a pheasant, until yesterday. He was very safe and a great shot. Taking kids out hunting and seeing the reaction on their face when they do something for the first time is what its all about. As always, Hank was on fire. Got to give a shout out to Frank at Upland Pheasant Preserve in Montour. I have hunted there for a long time and have never suspected him of not putting out enough birds. The cover is great and his birds are in great shape. Good luck and safe hunting

• Like 2