Mounting Track Advice

laker1

Ok , I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some 24 inch mounting track. I intend to use it for Down East Salty rod holders for musky fishing. I would also use dipseys when fishing for lake trout. I will be bolting the track to my Lund's gunnel.

My question is there a marine tackle supply house in either Canada or United States that people recommend with reasonable pricing? ( I can't believe the difference in pricing that I have found so far!  Don't these companies ever have sales?)  And is there a manufacturer or brand that one could recommend?

Thanks Jim

Stay safe everyone,

Ok , I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some 24 inch mounting track. I intend to use it for Down East Salty rod holders for musky fishing. I would also use dipseys when fishing for lake trout. I will be bolting the track to my Lund's gunnel.
My question is there a marine tackle supply house in either Canada or United States that people recommend with reasonable pricing? ( I can't believe the difference in pricing that I have found so far!  Don't these companies ever have sales?)  And is there a manufacturer or brand that one could recommend?
Thanks Jim
Stay safe everyone,

I usually find the best deals at fishing shows or sportsmens expos.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thank you Fishnut but I am too far away to attend the Toronto or the Chicago sport shows. The pandemic does not help either. Our local sport show is too small and lacks the variety I would expect to find at a genuine sports show. So I have to buy online. This is why I am seeking recommendations. I wish to make an informed choice.

Check out the used/like new section below the main listing on amazon....sometimes you can get a good discount on somthing that has a dinged up package or repackaged. There usually all brand new

Amazon has good prices on Cannon track, holders, cannon rigger pedestals and bert's holders. All compatible with each other.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my LM-V450 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you guffins fisherman and DoubleTrouble1 for taking the time to get back to me. I have been monitoring Amazon and will continue to do so. Part of my problem is not being able to see the track close at hand . Its good to hear that all the rod holders and related equipment will fit into track made by different manufacturers.

It should be noted that in the original post you mentioned that you intended to use the track system with Down East Salty rod holders. These rod holders were not actually designed with a track system in mind. You would need some type of base for them to be mounted to that would slide into the track. If memory serves me correctly the base would be about 3 and 1/4 inches wide by 4 inches long. You would also probably need to lift the Down Easters up a bit for clearance of the rod positions as normally those rod holders are affixed to either the transom or gunwales. Bert's makes a pedestal for tracks that could elevate the holders with adaptation while located within the track. It is normally used outside the track to elevate the track but will also fit inside the track.

Edited by Sk8man

Traxstech offers mounts with Down East Salties in several heights.  Believe you can buy with or without Salties if you already have the rod holder.  I use them on my musky trolling setup on my Lund.  Don’t usually see much of any deal on specialty items like this.  I did buy at a show with a discount a few years ago.  

Thank you mr 580 and Sk8man, great advice. 

I am getting close to making a decision. Though I am surprised that some manufactureres charge extra for end caps. I would have thought that end caps as a locking system would be included. Hopefully if I ever lose one I can substitute a 1/4 inch bolt or something. Covid does not help either with the current shipping 

restrictions either.

I build custom bases for an array of rod holders which fit all types of track.  Can do custom risers also.

I have also done custom base for track systems to limit holes in gunnels or to fit in existing holes, with neoprene gasket for fiberglass.