Best brand / value deep V aluminum boat?

On 11/19/2020 at 8:56 AM, jimski2 said:

A couple Starcrafts cracked at the chine.A local TIG welder fixed them fine. 

Anything can happen to any boat if you beat it hard enough.  I think some of the weld crack and rivet issues folks see have a lot to do with riding hard both on the water and trailering.  I've had welded and riveted, not as long as some folks but I slow down if the chop turns it into a hull beating and I'm hoping that pays off in the long run.  Feels better on my body too.   

I have heard a lot of things that people have to say about boats but I have heard very few things that make sense to me about boats and money. People say things like" a new 4 stroke will save you money on fuel" - not trying to be a pita but the p and i on a 14k capital purchase will pretty quickly make that statement look like what it is. I did the fuel expense vs. p and i math on a kicker when I first considered one and had to conclude that only a used one , bought right, could concievably produce a better rate of return than leaving the money in mutual funds. I spent 9k for my 'big' Crestliner, a 245 Eagle , walk around hard top. it was completely equipped though I did have L&M install a large screen HDS /Autopilot. As a part time charter boat it MAY eventually produce an acceptable rate of return. My 'new to me' 'small' Crestliner, a 205 Sabre open bow (for Niagara River drifting work/early browns in the offseason and as a backup to the 'big' Crestliner and or as my lake Erie boat, is currently a work in progress. The boat itself was relatively inexpensive. However I have elected to repower it with a used 200 hp Optimax and I'm going to equip it with a 112 lb thrust Saltwater model bow mount with i-pilot/spot lock and the associated batteries and on board charger, etc. I'm just going to share my Lowrance 7 hook from kayak with this boat so not much electronics for now.  So will this thing have a positive rate of return? Jury will be out for a while and a lot depends on potential issues with the used 2005 200 hp Saltwater model Optimax. I will have 3K+ in this motor- it had excellent compression, cold started, ran and shifted but....Here's the thing for anybody thinking about going this way with a boat purchase: Used, late model, High HP FRESH WATER ONLY Outboards are scarcer than hen's teeth. The fact you may have to wait , what is an unacceptable amount of time to find one, or that it could be very high priced, may make this option a moot point. So, we'll see I guess. In summation, if you are married to someone who doesn't care what you do with your COMBINED income or you are single then what I'm saying probably doesn't matter (well it does matter but you don't have to care about it). If you are married and your spouse does really care about expenditures of your COMBINED income then perhaps you need to consider exactly how you spend 'the fishing dollar'. Cheers! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

The truth is “a boat is a hole in the water you pour money”.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The truth is that the devil is in the details. There are always paths that lead to better results, the goal is identify and pursue them instead of saying’Yeah, what’s a 20 year boat loan anyway’

True 'dat. I researched and knew exactly what I wanted out of an aluminum boat. With Nothing but Net docked at Tommy's, my goal was strictly walleye, bass, and panfish, and I wasn't worried about big water trolling. I ended up purchasing a seven-year old Lund Mr. Pike 17 with a Yamaha F115, and I upgraded electronics and added a Terrova 80 with iPilot (Best. Investment. Ever.). Tommy installed a new floor two winters ago, but other than that, she has been an outstanding fishing machine with nary a hitch. Ten years and I'm not looking back. The devil is definitely in the details, so you better know exactly what the details are. Buy it to do what you love doing, not what you hope to do. 

• Like 1

I own a Kingfisher and don't regret it for second. I think when your talking aluminum boats the west coast style boats are in a different league compared to what we normally see on the east coast. The availability is the problem. I ordered mine thru a dealership Weigel brothers marine they are in western PA. A dealer in Ohio has several different west coast style manufacturers I believe it's Erie Marine Sales. If your gonna buy new try to get a look at the west coast style boats before you make your final decision. 

IMG-8150.jpg

• Like 2

A couple Starcrafts cracked at the chine.A local TIG welder fixed them fine. A new for stroke engine will save you for less gasoline burned.

10 hours ago, Kingfisher2020 said:

Not a problem but you do need a long net when it's rough. If it's calm there is a step through and you can stand on the bracket making it much easier.

With a large king on, you should clear all other lines, your riggers, raise the outboard and net the fish off the side of your drifting boat.

2007 Superhawk 1800 Crestliner. Be sure you have wide enough gunnels for any "trax" you want to put in. I run Cisco Systems and thru bolted the tracks for DR's, Triple trees, net holder, dispel holders, everything. Very thick Aluminum top side on this boat. I troll the Fingers on average @110 hours a year since I bought new. With no kicker the 115 just idles along perfectly. I put in an idle control switch and can get down to less the 1 mph up thru 3 mph with just idle control. Holds 33 gallons and stays dry with this cover. I use my trolling motor with nav to keep on course and the 115 power, as I fish alone mostly. I have been rolling around going fiberglass, you do rock a bit during windy days in ALU. 

Works for me, 

Dave

Edited by superhawk18

There are a ton of reasons why aluminum boats will get you ahead of your fishing game. But are you well-informed of the right size of the motor for your boat? Do you want to keep its performance at its peak for an extended period?

It is best to know what size motor for 16 foot aluminum boat works optimally. The right size motor will keep you safe in the sea, and will also protect your aluminum boat for a long time.

Aluminum boats are versatile motorboats. They can be brought around the open sea for fishing, or only for leisure activities. These boats are lightweight and can be customized depending on the owner. So aside from its versatility in usage, you can modify this boat internally.

Boats come in handy for traveling from one island to another. Most boat owners enjoy fishing with aluminum boats. Before you shell out cash for a motor, consider what the mini ship is mainly for. The boat’s speed will also depend on the usage. Knowing the primary purpose of using one will help you decide on the size motor you will buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Most boats have a recommended passenger rating. The engine rating recommended depends on the beam, transom and floatation rating. We used a ten horse power engine for years on a 16 foot boat

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 1 year later...

I myself run a 18 foot welded hull 1992 Crestliner. My 21 foot Starcraft  had 280 replaced rivets and a new floor. Then the transom brace cracked with only a 70 hp outboard. Rivet hulls use thinner gauge aluminum with welded hulls require heavier gauge aluminum sheets to handle the welding heat. The in hull gasoline tank was removed and replaced with six gallon portable tanks that do not collect water and are easily cleaned.  A new 90HP Mercury powers it with a top speed of 34PH and cruises at 25 MPH. A 10HP Honda mounted next to the Mercury is used for trolling at times with the Mercury fine for trolling also. Two downriggers are used mainly for trolling six side planer lines. Keeping the lines away from the boat is more productive than even downriggers. Lake Erie perch fishing is even more productive than Walleye fishing with a limit of 150 perch that are good eaters and less boring than money fishing contests.

I have never been able to understand why StarCraft stopped making the Islander , SeaNymph ( Lowe) stopped making the Great Lakes special , Lund  , Crestliner and others made great aluminum fishing boats suitable for the Great Lakes  I have a GLS 22 and I love it