In Shore Brown Trout and Kayaks

Hi All, I'm itching to get into some Brown trout. I'm looking for a brown trout "101" primer. Generally speaking, what time of year are they close to Shore? Can you catch them in 5-20 FOW? Are there certain features of a shoreline they like, or are they kind of spread wherever. My plan of attack would be trolling crank baits with lead core or flat line them...I have a paddle kayak so I want to stay fairly close to Shore but get out there and after em!

April and May would be your best shot at targeting those shallow brown trout and other species as well. I cant say that im an expert kayaker. If you are already fishing from a kayak than im sure you understand some of the limitations. With that said weather would definitely effect your ability to troll the shallows properly. Imo you would do well with a two rod setup. Trolling with spoons or hard baits. Key depths are very shallow that time of year anywhere from 4 to 20' The key trolling speed is anywhere from 1.8 to 2.5 mph. So if you can maintain those speeds consistently you should have no problem getting fish to bite. The south shore in the spring can be dynamite especially if the wind's cooperate for you. 

• Like 1

The specific areas im referring to are along the south shore are from Fairbanks pt. West to just around the Webster area. You have to move in and out to follow the contours of the preferred depth for the conditions. Most fishermen prefer the days when the shore has whats called green water which means stained but not really dirty or muddy. With that said if the shore does get dirty success can be had by fishing the edge of the where it turns clean if available. Clean water won't mean you can't catch it just means it will be harder or the fish move a little deeper. Areas of shoreline with cobbled rock mixed tend to be bonus areas. Cool thing is you never know what your going to catch that time of year. Always take a few chinook or Lakers bonus fish as well. Also i dont know where you are located but the high rock area near Henderson is also another very good early spring shallow Brown trout area.

Webster Park on Lake Rd doesn’t have a kayak launch or a swimming beach but you can access the lake from the shoreline. Plenty of parking also. Mill creek empties into the lake at the park and Four Mile creek is just to the east 

• Thanks 1