In line planer boards?

Doug N

Church Tackle TX 22's or Walleye boards work well. I even run 10 color leaccore and 300 coppers off them. I'd stay away from the larger TX44's for that use.

Edited by Sk8man

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

Church Tackle TX 22's or Walleye boards work well. I even run 10 color leaccore and 300 coppers off them. I'd stay away from the larger TX44's for that use.

I was looking at the walleye boards, thought they may be too small to pull them. I'll order a couple of them.

Thanks Doug

Not gonna lie I hate mine (all Erie use)...I have run the tx22 the walleye boards and the offshore tackle yellow boards...they all were a pita for me but the offshore yellow ones were best out of the 3. I had issues with them diving all the time. I ran braid (double as dipsy rods when fish move deep) and lockjaw clips on them so they didn't release. I tried everything when reeling them in and still dove especially when on a big sheep or a steelhead. Needless to say I'm going to big boards. I think it will be easier on the kids.

Ran them with mono off buddy's boat and made them release and they worked quite a bit better...still not my favorite tho.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

With the Walleye boards the weights at the bottom need to be adjusted correctly and inline boards aren't as good as big boards in rough water. Inlines may dive initially but if brought in steadily with the rod tip down a bit they should be fine. I don't usually run mine a long way out from the boat for a couple reasons so they come in pretty rapidly.

• Like 1

With the Walleye boards the weights at the bottom need to be adjusted correctly and inline boards aren't as good as big boards in rough water. Inlines may dive initially but if brought in steadily with the rod tip down a bit they should be fine. I don't usually run mine a long way out from the boat for a couple reasons so they come in pretty rapidly.
I didn't mess with the weight on bottom much...if you pointed at the board reeling it wasn't near as bad...but explaining that to a 8+10 year old got hard lol...point at it till board is off then tip up after lol hopefully the big boards will help that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have inexperienced families all the time and it's an art to coach up people in a non-aggressive fashion and have them do it right.  I run both depending on situation and make the best decision I can for the group.  I can easily run the walleye boards way out and get them in without em diving no matter who is on the rod for the most part, but it's taken me years to refine.  Incidentally it took years to perfect my big boards.  For your application I'd run big boards too!

• Like 1

The larger Church TX 44's have a strong tendency to dive so I don't use mine anymore. Big boards are fine if you have the setup for them. They require some thought when setting up (mast in the front or reels attached to sides of boat or top and a lot depends on your particular boat) but you had mentioned you're intending to use inlines to pull cranks or sticks so that was what I was responding to. You also didn't mention them being possibly used by children or unfamiliar people so that is a consideration as mentioned as they wouldn't have to be directly involved in the use of big boards - just handling the rods. The big boards are good for all around use e.g. waves and rough water and higher boat speeds.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1