Battery charging

DixieDangle

I'm a newbie to charging systems. I have hooked up a Garmin TR1 AP and want it in a separate battery as I wont be running my main motor for hours (4 or 5) at a time. My plan is to install an onboard charging system. Run power from kicker to second battery to try to keep it topped up but I'm not sure itll charge as much as required. I think I have my head wrapped around how to do this. Now I would like to have my main motor to have the ability to charge second battery but only when running. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Lake Ontario United mobile app

is it possible to run a wire from pos terminal on cranking battery to positive terminal on second battery with a switch in between that I could turn on when motor is running. The problem with these diagrams is that I run my gps and riggers off cranking battery so while my main motor is off the switch is still in the on position. The second battery is only to power the kicker AP.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 10/31/2020 at 12:14 PM, lost a lure said:

Easy with a battery switch... you start the main on #1 and the switch to #2 for everything else. That way your starting battery will always be charged. Does your kicker have charging capabilities? If so you will be fine, I run same AP, fishawk, sonar, radio, electric riggers, stereo and washdown all with no problems and can still start the main with the #2 battery if I wanted to. 

• Thanks 1

If you plan on running a second battery, just install a Voltage Sensitive Relay between the two batteries... will always keep both batteries charged when either engine is running and if voltage ever drops below 13v on most, the connection is dropped as well. I use these on my vessel, 3 engines onboard and 1 relay per unit will keep all of my batteries charged no matter what engine is running.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Thanks 1