Register my boat in NY or PA?

All,

I'm buying a new boat and I'm trying to figure out where to register it. I live in PA but use the boat mostly in NY. NYS DMV says that a boat registered in a different state can be used in NY for 90 consecutive days. Does anyone know how closely they monitor that?

I ask because sales tax here in PA is 6.5%, in NY it's 8.5%. Also, it would be a heck of a lot easier dealing with registering the boat here than driving up to NY to do it. I'm buying the boat from Michigan which helps complicate the matter :)

What do you guys who live out of state do?

Nick

Nick,

I was just at a boater safey course this past weekend and the same subject came up. The CG aux. said that if a boat was used for more than 60 days in another state it should be registered in that state. I am in the same situation as you, we have a house on Sodus, but the boat is registered in PA. We keep our boat in the lift all season and for the past 4 years have not any problems with the Sheriff or CG, except for saftey checks coming thru the shoot.

Good Luck with the new boat!

Chaz

Ok thanks guys. I had a problem once coming through the shoot in sodus, but that was my fault (I had left the registration in the car's glove department... it was our first trip of the year). Other than that the coast guard has treated us very well in sodus... just don't pull into their dock... they don't like that! :)

Nick

I live in Ma. but keep my boat in Olcott NY.Been there for several years.I thought about registering it in NY,as it's less money,but it seemed like a hassel when I contacted the DMV of NY.

I've never had a problem. I leave it on the trailer up there when it's not in the water.

I'm willing to bet that most out of staters keep their boats registered in their home state.It's just a lot easier,and I don't think you'd have a problem.

Nick: I have been fishing Ontario for 25 years and had my boat registered in Pa for 20 years and it has spent most of the season docked in Sandy Pond. I never had any problem. Lately, since I bought a cottage, I have registered the boat in NY. The trailer is still registered in PA, but I very rarely use it. It is used just to store for the winter. The fact is, boat registration is less expensive in NY, but the trailer registration is less in PA. Go figure.

Len