Crossbow Recommendation

idn713

Don't think it's going to extend your range IMHO they are too loud to be reliable over what a decent shooter can do with compound bow, and shots in the woods have a way of hitting unseen twigs, regardless. I top out at 35 yards, either way. But I've seen guys take longer shots. Lots of injured deer, too.

Ten Point Turbo is what I shoot. It's great. All crossbows seem heavy to me, but that's the game. You mentioned scopes, and it's tough to do much better than a Hawke XB30 with illuminated reticle.

• Like 2

Crossbows have pros and cons like most things.  After shooting Ten Points for a few years, I feel biggest advantage is they are cocked so no draw and accurate to 40 yards.  On the other hand, they are heavy, awkward to carry, and are slower with more arc than most vertical bows.  For certain Hunter groups especially older hunters and people with shoulder problems, they allow them to continue hunting.  They work especially well from a ground blind and have good energy so useful in urban areas where firearms aren’t allowed.  A good vertical bow Hunter with a range of 30 yards is unlikely to see much advantage by going to a crossbow other than the draw advantage and pushing range out to 40 yards.  Crossbows can shoot beyond 40 yards, however from a realistic and ethical standpoint not used in many hunting situations.

• Like 2

Huh, my buddy has taken three bucks over 50 with a crossbow and feels very confident about that shot. I also feel very confident about shots at 45 with my compound bow (I practice a lot out to 70-80 yards) so I guess it’s not too much of a difference maker. Thanks for the input guys

I would say all depends on how much you want to spend I have a couple buddies that have ravens $2000 plus who hunt out west with them n shoot 100% confident at 70 yds have taken mule deer n whitetail never lost one, I shoot my compound up to 50 yds 100% confident but I shoot long range targets a lot

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a scorpion 165 it shoots 425 FPS. I shoot it to 70 yards. I’ve been an avid archery shooter and hunter for 39 years. I went to the crossbow 3 years ago when I could no longer shoot my bow every day because of shoulder pain. It’s not the same. I no longer have the drive or adrenaline rush while archery hunting. Compound bows are more challenging and give you a much better feeling of confidence and accomplishment. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

I have a scorpion 165 it shoots 425 FPS. I shoot it to 70 yards. I’ve been an avid archery shooter and hunter for 39 years. I went to the crossbow 3 years ago when I could no longer shoot my bow every day because of shoulder pain. It’s not the same. I no longer have the drive or adrenaline rush while archery hunting. Compound bows are more challenging and give you a much better feeling of confidence and accomplishment. JMO.

So you do or don’t recommend the scorpion brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

19 hours ago, idn713 said:

Huh, my buddy has taken three bucks over 50 with a crossbow and feels very confident about that shot. I also feel very confident about shots at 45 with my compound bow (I practice a lot out to 70-80 yards) so I guess it’s not too much of a difference maker. Thanks for the input guys

As with anything, if you practice then your chances improve. I practice to 50 yards so that 30 yards feels like a chip shot. But I'd never shoot beyond 35 yards at most, regardless. Elk hunters practice like you out to 70-80 yards and sometimes need the range. 

A crossbow bolt will tend to be impacted by distance more than an arrow from a compound. This means that determining an accurate range for the shot becomes essential at longer distances. I suspect that in the moment most hunters would have a tough time distinguishing between 45 and 55 yards, particularly in the woods, which can be catastrophic. Again, preparation makes a huge difference. It is tough to get around how loud crossbows can be though - and we all know that deer love to "jump the string" lol. 

Some guys certainly manage longer shots, but they really know their equipment. Many, many more think they've won the election...I mean make long shots...without evidence. I expect there to be a bunch of injured deer running around today.  

6 minutes ago, Gator said:

As with anything, if you practice then your chances improve. I practice to 50 yards so that 30 yards feels like a chip shot. But I'd never shoot beyond 35 yards at most, regardless. Elk hunters practice like you out to 70-80 yards and sometimes need the range. 

A crossbow bolt will tend to be impacted by distance more than an arrow from a compound. This means that determining an accurate range for the shot becomes essential at longer distances. I suspect that in the moment most hunters would have a tough time distinguishing between 45 and 55 yards, particularly in the woods, which can be catastrophic. Again, preparation makes a huge difference. It is tough to get around how loud crossbows can be though - and we all know that deer love to "jump the string" lol. 

Some guys certainly manage longer shots, but they really know their equipment. Many, many more think they've won the election...I mean make long shots...without evidence. I expect there to be a bunch of injured deer running around today.  

Totally understand the point, hardwoods would be tough to navigate a arcing arrow at long distances! My situation is more open fields and CRP, where the chance at a 50-60 yard shot could mean a nice 140” buck. But yes, not a situation to take slightly and something that must be practiced for!

I replaced the factory scope on my Excalibur with a Vortex Crossfire II. It has holdover points out to 100 yards. Not an expensive scope ($199) but I like the extra range for target shooting. Ravin sells a similar longer range scope ($359).

2 minutes ago, LakerTaker said:

I replaced the factory scope on my Excalibur with a Vortex Crossfire II. It has holdover points out to 100 yards. Not an expensive scope ($199) but I like the extra range for target shooting. Ravin sells a similar longer range scope ($359).

I think I am going to go with a Tenpoint Wicked Ridge Invader 400. I would have to replace the scope though and I would probably but a speed ring Hawke on it. Sucks, I wish they would just sell the bare crossbow as an option. 

I think I am going to go with a Tenpoint Wicked Ridge Invader 400. I would have to replace the scope though and I would probably but a speed ring Hawke on it. Sucks, I wish they would just sell the bare crossbow as an option. 

Both bow and scope are an excellent choice. When I bought the Vortex, I didn’t do much research. I should have considered the 2-8x36 Hawk XB30.

I just picked up a CenterPoint Amped 415, and shot it for the first time today. It's awesome, tack driver. This is a picture of a 2 shot group at 50 yards. Every grouping was that close. Very happy with it. My only complaint is the adjustable stock, rattles around a bit. Nothing a little tape can't fix. 20201112_093339.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just picked up a CenterPoint Amped 415, and shot it for the first time today. It's awesome, tack driver. This is a picture of a 2 shot group at 50 yards. Every grouping was that close. Very happy with it. My only complaint is the adjustable stock, rattles around a bit. Nothing a little tape can't fix. 20201112_093339.thumb.jpeg.e57001f0173a30b15c9d06cd4e63b714.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

With crossbows, shooting more than one bolt at the same spot gets expensive! Careful!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have the Hawke XB30 Pro scope with the lighted reticle, and it's awesome. They use a dummy option of having a magnification ring that's set to your bow speed, so that at faster speeds the reticle markings are closer together lol. My buddy I hunted with last week is an optical engineer and he laughed at their "solution". But it works. The scope is labeled as 1-5x mag, but since the mag is tied to the reticle, in effect it's a fixed magnification at whatever works for your bow, speed wise (I'm shooting 360 fps -  the reticle is accurate within 1/2" at 50 yards and the field of view is sufficient for the task).

As said keep shots to 35 yards max, 25 is my max. As a tracker for deer search it is crazy the number of unfound wounded deer on shots past 35 yards mostly with cross bows.

10 point is my vote

Scott

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1