Spoon painting

Hey guys, I’m new to painting my own spoons and just got a cheap airbrush setup and a few colors and ordered a couple dozen blanks to practice. So far I’ve painted some that I’m pretty happy with. I’m using createx water based paint and from the research I’ve done I ordered the KBS Diamond clear. My plan is to use a wire hook to dip the spoons and let them hang to cure. Does anyone have any advice for the clear process that’s made their projects a little simpler? Below are some I’ve practiced with so far. Any advice for a newbie at this is appreciated. Patiently waiting for the lakes to freeze. Happy fishing to those still grinding out there with this nice November weather.IMG_1604856829.005794.jpg

IMG_1604856859.540752.jpg

IMG_1604856877.941836.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

Bake them in a toaster oven to cure the paint.  Let them sit for 24+ hours before clear coating them.  If you do not respect the drying times, they will bubble up and you will have to start over!  

3 hours ago, nygooseduster26 said:

Any specific amount of time in the toaster oven? They’ve been painted for about 10 days and my clear should be here Thursday as well as a bunch more blanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I do 20 mins.  If you have any tapes on the spoons they will shrink.  I usually just let them cure without the toaster oven to prevent this from happening.  

I would suggest that you dry your paint with a blow-dryer after every color.  That way you won't be layering wet paint on top of wet paint.  For me, paint blisters when I apply it too thick and don't dry it thoroughly between coats. 

Good luck with the KBS.  I love the results, but storing it is a PITA. If you get any KBS in the grooves of the can, you will have to cut the can open. I store it in a mason jar, with a folded piece of saran wrap between the jar and the top.  You will also likely have to use Bloxygen to keep it from curing in the jar.  Even then, you will likely get a layer of hardened sealer on the top of your jar.  Better to "tap the can" as explained in the link below. 

As far as using it goes, thin by 20 percent with some Acetone.  While dipping is easier, I would suggest that you brush it on, as dipping it will result in the excess dripping back into the jar and making the storage/curing issue even worse. Better to pour some in a smaller jar or dixie cup and brush out of that. Hold the spoon over the cup and after it stops dripping (try a 10-15 count), hang it to dry with an opened paper clip. Put another opened paper clip in the bottom hole of the spoon to help reduce the amount of KBS in the bottom hole.  After ten minutes or so, use a toothpick or a nail to clean the KBS out of the holes. 

KBS is pretty tough stuff.  I use it on cranks and spoons and it holds up quite nicely.  That said, I am looking into UV cured sealers, as they are easier to apply, cure in minutes and don't cure in the jar. 

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/29446-tapping-a-can-of-dick-nite/ 

Edited by VanderLaan