German Wirehaired Pointer

So it's been along time since ive posted, but as we all  know it's almost that time! Gunnar as over achieved more then I could have ever expected for just turning 8 months. He is a machine when hunting and turns it off like a switch once told to.  He retrieves great on land and in the water,  he has great steadiness, hunts hard for upland (haven't been able to expose any live birds to point) but points everything in the yard, tacking deer like a pro (pretty easy tracks),  very obedient....... so on and so on. My question is I know a lot of guys will not hunt their dog it's first season. Why? We have worked so hard to get to this point, but want to make sure I do the right thing. My sons first year to hunt as well so lots of memories to made for sure! So, would you or would you not hunt your dogs it's first season???

Screenshot_20210916-223602_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ce4d5cf8996fe2164976b1e895f9b574.jpg
Screenshot_20210916-223418_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7df4efe9392dd03f543176d210371fdf.jpg
20210911_164638.thumb.jpg.b20da5e5c862e006f2052bbe3fa9f6f9.jpg
I would absolutely hunt the dog . The more experience the better.
Make memories .
And try to get your hands on some birds for the steadiness .
I haveafriend whosan excellant dog trainer and will take dogs out to hunt that are 4 months old .

Sent from my SM-A600A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is my dogs first real full season coming up ( 14 months). Hes retrived over 100 doves so far . Putting him on wild birds and homing pidgeons with launchers last week really upped his game on steadiness and also trying to have him hold till the bird falls , mostly for his safety when hunting with other people that just get excited and dont own dogs.
But sometimes he gets too excited and breaks but were working on it.

I currently have a pen made for birds, got my hands on some launchers,  and just finishing up 3 pigeon traps so I can get my hands on some live birds. We are scheduled to put him on some Pheasants this weekend! Can't wait. My first real hunting dog and I'm already wishing I didn't wait till now, he has taught me more already then I will probably ever have the chance to teach him. Crazy how much a dog can change you!

• Like 1

Definitely bring him along. I was in a similar situation and we alway brought our griff especially on the youth hunts. Half the experience/memories and fun with my kids was and still is talking about how good or “not so so good” the dog was. Enjoy your time with the both of them!

3F4AEC6C-A6B2-4A4B-9BD2-0EE22FA542C4.jpeg

302B9679-4E4F-4BBC-BBEF-3276702ADA9F.jpeg

The best way he and you will both learn is just to take him! Don't expect everything to go perfectly, let him have fun and learn as he goes. I'm approaching the 3rd season with my brittany, and it is a blast. Like you said, having a hunting dog will change you, I've barley thought about deer hunting since I've had the birddog.

Anyone ever have luck with Woodcock here in NY? They seem to be the perfect wild bird for a pointer since they hold tight and don't go to far when flushed. No need to give up your spots but just curious if the migration hits certain areas better than others.

Edited by JakeyBaby

Speaking of woodcock. Really hoping to get in on the migration which will be great for young dogs to build thier confidence.

Good time to let the dog point , hold when you flush the bird , and have them hold when the bird takes off . And watch the bird lsnd and do it again or shoot.

Ill be hunting in franklin and st lawrence county in oct some . If anybody notices a influx of woodcock please let me know .
Maybe post it here

Woodcock are great for young dogs! I had a lot of fun with them last year. I hunt the southern tier and last year I noticed toward the end of October or early November an influx. A lot of guys don’t hold them to high value because they aren’t much challenge for the dog, but I’d rather come home with a brace of birds than be skunked by the grouse!

7EAE66A1-490D-4A75-8402-F5B568FFA7B2.jpeg

117429BD-32C7-4F4B-99B1-9E28614E4E7D.jpeg

B1736164-AFAA-4328-9899-5F5E964FF930.jpeg

D662D984-D987-4E36-8907-1F1DEA192658.jpeg

• Like 1

Me and Gunnar finally did our first hunt together this morning and I will never forget it! Truly awsome! He did amazing for his first time, I couldn't be happier and can't wait to do it again very soon!

20210925_112027.jpg

20210925_111927.jpg

20210925_095418.jpg

Edited by JakeyBaby
  • Like 3

So we were fortunate enough to be able and go back Sunday afternoon to put Gunnar on some more birds. Much tougher  conditions then Saturday morning. Warm, windy, and very dry. He was able to put up one out of for birds.  With the grass and brush much dryer his face and around his eyes got pretty torn up! Is there anything you guys do to help them from getting to beat up? Thinking about getting him a skid plate for his belly.

Edited by JakeyBaby

• 2 weeks later...

Well today was a special one! Was able to Finally meet up with Bradon aka Steelie here on LOU and put our boys together. If it hasn't for this man I would not have the dog I do , and it means alot. He told me how special these dogs are and he most definitely wasn't worng. Today Blaze showed up pointing and retrieving birds like these guys are bread to do. Gunnar payed lots of attention, and by the end of the day followed suit. FINALLY Retrieved 2 fresh birds to hand and we just missed our glory camera shot with both dogs locked on point on the same bird side by side of each other on the last bird of the day!! Was truly awsome! Can't wait to do it again brother and man watching these dogs work is truly special! Now on to trying to get the kids on some deer this week old.

Screenshot_20211008-175616_Gallery.jpg20211008_105623.jpgScreenshot_20211008-190106_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

thanks for the invite, buddy. Great to finally meet you and gunnar! What a great day,  Blaze hasn't pointed anything but flies and grasshoppers this summer, lol. Gunnar went from a boy to a man today in no time, that was awesome!! glad Blaze Could help be a part. That last retrieve and double point was amazing! Truly some special pups... 

• 2 weeks later...

Gunnar really showed his versatility this weekend as we hit the marsh for his first duck hunt on his 9 month birthday! Retrieved every bird ( some with a little assistance of rocks) like a rock star! The last retrieve was pushing 80 yards or more and he was on it like he's been doing it for years! Half way back with the some what alive bird in his mouth he decided to cut into the coattails? I figured maybe he was just getting tired and trying to find an easier route back to the blind. A few minutes go by an still no dog? I could hear him splash every once in a while but could not get him to come. Finally I jump in the water and track him down 30 yards from the blind stuck! I get to him and the bird is know where to be found and the dog unable to move! I was afraid he was caught in a trap, but luckily he was not! I free him up and he tries to move but just freezes and favors his back leg. I ended up having to carry him back to the blind, half hour later he appeared to be fine! Thank god!! I'm guessing maybe he just got a cramp? My only concern now is, he had a Slightly alive bird in his mouth when it happened and dropped it. I really hope he doesn't associate the injury with that bird being in his mouth! I tried throwing a few dead ducks in the yard to see what he would do, but all he would is take off like usual on a retrieve but once he hit the bird would sniff it and walk away! Also would not hold the bird if I put it in his mouth. Man I hope this isn't a new trend!20211016_090257.thumb.jpg.db26816509427b740171de60ab2781aa.jpg20211016_083543.thumb.jpg.aabfdd773371a97499ac9960666cabd3.jpg

Good adventures with you buddy. My shorthair hunted her last hunt Saturday. She finished on top with success but arthritis has found the hips and she was bed bound for two days. Like a running back, when it goes, it goes downhill quick. 

JakeBaby

I use a stomach skid plate when tracking deer, it well worth the small cost.

You had mentioned a pigeon trap, when I had a shorthair, my friend had a wirehair we caught so many pigeons for training with only my salmon net. Most highway bridges have pigeons under them, go a night and when they get nervous they will fly out and you catch em in the net, plus its a ball. We even had a bunch of town cops so up one night as the call came across to them "2 men with a net" Its all legal, well at least 25 years ago it was. 

If your training to track deer look into "Deer Search" then get DEC licensed so you can legally carry a firearm any season and track at night as well, Gunner just needs to be on a 30' lead. Finding a deer for 1st time hunter and seeing there enjoyment is priceless.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

The last few weeks have been pretty awesome, between sitting in the stand with my daughter trying to get her 1st archery deer and spending time with my 2 "boys" in the field has been special.  Some pheasant hunts that turned out great (including the hunt with Matt and Gunner) and yesterday for woodcock was excellent. There is something so special about watching these Griff's point, work and retrieve. The one picture I will add was when I was standing talking to 3 guys after I shot my limit of pheasants at a local club and these 2 chuckars walk threw the parking lot and he creeps up to point them... Enjoy !

20211017_083518.jpg

20211017_075416.jpg

20211031_124251.jpg

Screenshot_20211016-195244_Photos.jpg

20211016_080944.jpg

Screenshot_20211101-104713_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

Cool as hell man and I jealous behind belief about that woodcock hunt! Hopefully can get a deer killed asap so I can use my rutcation on chasing birds! Was super close this morning, back in the same spot now blowing around like a weed!

• 2 weeks later...

our local club was stocking some pheasants this past weekend so I donated some $ for more birds. They released them Friday, I couldn't hunt Saturday morning as my son and I were wrestling out of town. We rushed out of the tournament and made it home to get out for a quick hunt before we went deer hunting. I didn't take long to get our 2. The 1st was a hen, the second was a rooster that was a runner. Blaze would point, run, point, run. Finally after 75 yards or so he locked up tight - bang. To the treestand we went!

Sunday morning I made the decision (hindsight, I should have been in a tree) to take my wife and son back out for pheasants. This was tough as there was heavy frost which made it difficult for sent! Blaze worked his butt off though. 1st bird he couldnt pin down but knew there was a bird close as he was working it flushed. 2nd- I was inside the brush and Blaze was with my wife and son and she said "he's pointing" she walked up and flushed. 3rd - he bumped and we still got it. last was the best, he locked up just as we were getting ready to finish. a hen flushed and bang. a few seconds later the rooster went up and we watched him cruise away. 

Monday morning - I decided to take off. I put the kids on the bus and Blaze and I went back after them. With only putting out limited birds I knew it was going to be a grind but it was a beautiful day with dew on the ground making sent great. 

We spent a lot of time hitting the usual small cover spots (that everyone hits) with blaze not even getting hot.  One last spot to check and nothing.. heading out I hear a rooster start crowing not far from us! I looked at blaze and he's standing watching the direction of the bird.. HAHAHA. Off we go, we get to the area and he's going nuts on the sent, locks up and the bird goes up- bang. As were making our way to the downed bird, he locks up again! flush and no shot.. I watched where the bird went down (a few hundred yards)  and off we go to find him. we get there and again he locks up in the thickest nastiest brush. I walk in and the bird tries to fly but cant because its so thick. off to the races they both go... it wasn't long and I hear blaze's bell coming back and I knew he caught him, sure enough out comes a pretty proud pup!  It was a wonderful weekend to enjoy with my family- from wrestling to pheasant to deer hunting. Enjoy and good luck!

Screenshot_20211106-145307_Photos.jpg

20211107_092923.jpg

20211108_094050.jpg

20211108_151533.jpg

20211108_152549.jpg

• Like 1