German Wirehaired Pointer

Was curious if anyone owns or has owned a German Wirehaired Pointer? We are floating the idea around of adding a dog to our family. These guys really stand out to me because they seem to very versatile in the hunting world. I'm looking to have a dog i can train to track blood for personal use, duck hunt, shed hunt and maybe even some up land bird hunting. They are awesome looking and hard workers by the sounds of it. Down side from what I have researched a little, is they are very hyper and can be aggressive to strangers. Not sure that all of them fall into that category but then again maybe they do?

It seems you are in the same position I was 3 ago. i would suggest going back on these threads from years past and looking up the wire haired pointing griffon... I pulled the trigger last year (for the kids Christmas present) I can honestly say, it is probably the smartest/loyal/ versatile dog i have ever seen. I've had labs and chessies but these guys are great with everything! Not aggressive at all but man they love family.. I saved blood from last years deer to train and he's doing great so far. Feel free to pm me.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Do a lot of field and water hunting ; also have been in two hunt clubs and saw a " professional " German Wire Hair pointer work , which was fantastic ! They or primarily pointers for field birds , ie. good nose ! Those dogs would make poor pets ! ie. " lets hunt or go away !"

IMO dogs are breed, breeder, & owner ! You get from a dog what you put into it less 10% ie, useless and stupid and can make good pets !

All that I am saying is that in my experience with hunt club work the German wirehaired-pointer was a field dog and I never saw it do anything else ! They would show aggression when confronted by non hunters which may work for home security otherwise I wonder what you expect from a dog ?

Nuff said by me !

Look at a Drahthaar.
Versital hunting dog . Retrieve land or water. Point. Track.
I have a young 5month old . Great personality. Great with strangers and other dogs so far.
I have a buddy big into gun dogs and had a few german wirehairs .
. One was good the other two had a switch and were aggressive with people and seen it first hand But that's my only experience with them. But also doesn't mean that's how it always goes . I looked at the gwp and would still think it's a good choice . But always preferred drahthaars

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

For a tracking dog and all around pet i love my Blue lacy from Texas. I was off with for his first 6 months of training n overall discipline teaching. I had to socialize him mostly, basically I become alpha dog and he had a streak in him that was quoted by an unknown person as being "part barbed wire and wolverine." But truly I love this dog more than any other I've had. He fishes with us too. 20201025_210339.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A bit late to the party.  I have gunned quite a few NAVHDA tests over a large variety of versatile breeds. Also owned a GWP and several Pudelpointers.  Good advice so far, with respect to GWPs being do-all dogs.  I also agree that they can be a bit aggressive towards strangers.  Mine was sweet as could be - when I was around. Had little kids pull on her ears and she wouldn't have a care.  Also had the mailman, neighbors and school kids all tell me about her trying to take a bite out of them when I wasn't home. She also had separation anxiety something fierce.  Had her push a kennel under a window, push it out and go for a run. Was a good field dog and tracked numerous deer for my friends, but the negatives outweighed the positives.  Don't regret owning her, but hunting season is only three months long after all. 

I have friends with Griffons and they are great dogs.  They all hunt upland and waterfowl quite well. I almost bought one myself, but went with a Pudelpointer.  I will never own another breed.  Biddable, well mannered, track, point and will retrieve waterfowl all day. Great dog in the house and have never heard of one being sharp towards people. Even if I quit hunting, I would likely have one for a buddy.  Just love their personality.  Pic below is my 12 year-old after a hunt for state birds.  My other dog was wooly, like a GWP.  Check out www.cedarwoodgundogs.com for the history and info on the breed.

IMG_20191115_101328.jpg

Edited by VanderLaan

pps. The German shorthaired pointer is a female pup ; I could have the opportunity to cross her with a Nova Scotia duck toller which is very bright! Any comments ? 

AKC says do not do it ! A good friend says life is a series of dogs and will generally work mixed breeds ; less chance of hereditary diseases and MAY get a good mix of the breeds ?

• 1 month later...

I know I asked about this a while back now, but just wanted to update since we are two weeks away from getting our Wirehaired Pointing Griffon!!! Can't remember the last time I was this excited for something! Here's a few pics from the last few weeks. A long drive but going to be worth it! Crazy how fast they grow.
IMG_9786.jpegIMG_9892.jpegIMG_9894.jpegIMG_9993.jpegIMG_0001.jpegimagejpeg_0(4).jpeg

• Like 4

Glad to see new postings ! Our German short haired pointer " Molly " is 4 months old & have learned a lot about the breed ! [ having hunted with a guy his GSP was hopeless and useless along with teaching our yellow Lab her bad habits ! No one wanted to hunt with this guy ] 

Clearly these dogs take a lot of work and if anyone wants a good field dog you have to start YOUR training with a puppy !

Good luck with the new pup.

I made a 12 hour drive fo my drahthaar.
Going to be 8 months in a week.
We missed a couple weeks of putting birds out for him because of the weather and ice fishing trip

But we hit it yesterday by putting out a few chukars for him. Hard to mis the excitement in the dog when he knows what were gonna be doing .

Still working on "whoa" training as it seems yesterday he forgot what it was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 6 months later...

So it's been along time since ive posted, but as we all  know it's almost that time! Gunnar as over achieved more then I could have ever expected for just turning 8 months. He is a machine when hunting and turns it off like a switch once told to.  He retrieves great on land and in the water,  he has great steadiness, hunts hard for upland (haven't been able to expose any live birds to point) but points everything in the yard, tacking deer like a pro (pretty easy tracks),  very obedient....... so on and so on. My question is I know a lot of guys will not hunt their dog it's first season. Why? We have worked so hard to get to this point, but want to make sure I do the right thing. My sons first year to hunt as well so lots of memories to made for sure! So, would you or would you not hunt your dogs it's first season???

Screenshot_20210916-223602_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210916-223418_Gallery.jpg

20210911_164638.jpg

Thanks for bringing up the thread ! Bottom line " Mollie " is presently at class as I post ! She is 11months old and may be a" 2 year dog" ! Generally dogs are 100% genetics [ less 10 % ] . She comes from a long line of field dogs and is CKC recorded ! It was clear too us that she was born to hunt and point ! { We have a large yard enclosed on a creek .] 

She is smart and stubborn and does not like to be told ! " You get out of a dog what you put into it " { again less 10 % who are hopeless and make good pets ! ]

She is not " gun shy " but will run away which is a major problem ! To soon to post if she can be field work !