Otisco launch

I took my kayak to Otisco today. I haven’t been there since the new launch opened. I was surprised to see it was still open and being used. IMG_4769.JPGthey did a nice job on this one. Still over two feet of water at end of the dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

There isn't over 2 feet getting thru the causeway.... especially with a lot of south wind.   I used the launch Saturday and it is done well.  I was disappointed to see there was no bathroom anymore and no garbage cans anymore...and quite a pile of garbage.  That's the problem with a free launch.  No money to run it right the entire time it's open.  I made several trips out on the causeway late in the year to cast when nobody was fishing because it was such a pain getting in and out with certain winds alone in the dark.  It bothers me deeply to see all the garbage out there and I hope this doesn't end up the same, but I know it will.  It literally breaks my heart to see how little respect so many have for such a beautiful place.  There are so few lakes that aren't completely developed, polluted, bothered by blue green algae, loaded with mercury, have fertillzer runoff, etc and nobody gives a damn.  Otisco lake is the only legitimate walleye fishery in the state that I'm aware of where there has never been heavy metals, pollution, and blue green algae blooms.  And yes even Skaneatles has all 3 of those things!  Maybe having healthy water isn't important to many of you, but it's everything to me.  Maybe its not cool to be a conservative and love the environment enough to want to protect it at nearly any cost, but that's me.   If it were up to me id close down the shore fishing access till it was cleaned up.  I would shut down the other activities that aren't allowed there anyway.   Lastly, I would never have the launch free.  It simply isn't possible to keep that much area clean and maintained, as well as garbage service, and porta john service without a proper budget.  Exactly who comes up with the money?  What happens when there isn't any money?  I tell you exactly what will end up happening.  That launch will look just like the causeway in 5 years.  Sorry for hijacking and the rant, but somehow we as sportsmen have to stop leaving our garbage everywhere.  None of us are doing a good enough job setting the example and policing our own.  I take a garbage bag everywhere I go and try to do my best to fill it.  It was way to easy on Saturday to fill it at everybody's favorite free launch, and the causeway is way worse.  I know there are a ton people using Otisco that are part of the problem and read my posts... grow up and try being a responsible american!  If you truly aren't part of the problem then start being part of the solution!  EVERYONE is capable of being better.   Don't think for a second I don't push myself to do better and what's right for the fishery and valley I love.  My dream would be that people would understand its not all about catching fish and certainly not anything about hero shots!

• Like 5

Was surprised it was free. At Conesus they have an atm kinda thing you pay at. But they weren’t charging this year,at least not the half dozen times I went there. As for garbage,it seems like every shore fishing site is a mini landfill. I’m 68 and I say it’s always been like that,sadly. Tired of picking up after slobs but I still do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old man said:

Was surprised it was free. At Conesus they have an atm kinda thing you pay at. But they weren’t charging this year,at least not the half dozen times I went there. As for garbage,it seems like every shore fishing site is a mini landfill. I’m 68 and I say it’s always been like that,sadly. Tired of picking up after slobs but I still do.

At Conesus, old men like us can launch for free on weekdays except for holiday weekdays by just scanning your drivers license. Weekends you have to pay. I am not sure what age it starts at, maybe 62. Same for all state launches and state parks.

• Like 1

I used the launch to test my jet ski after it was fixed before I had it wrapped for storage 4 days after I hauled out what was there and there was another bunch of garbage piled where you are supposed to put weeds when you take your boat out.  How hard is it to take home every single thing you bring, and seriously dig a little hole with your heel and bury your crap and burn your paper in the hole or bury it too!  If you think it's ok not too please pm me your address!

On 11/11/2020 at 8:22 PM, old man said:

So true, but have you ever seen garbage around the campground launch?  No because it's maintained by good people who do care.  If a business is cluttered and rundown we shouldn't reward them for being slobs and a state launch should be maintained as well.  Thanks again NY for spending but not actually having a viable plan then leaving the locals the mess we appreciate it so much!

It might not be effective for the state to provide trash services. Using state employees to pick up trash at all the state ramps, boat access sites and fishing access sites would probably not be cost effective with all the travel. They could however, have agreements or provisions with local counties, municipalities or citizen organizations to provide receptacles and clean up and remove trash at those sites on a regular basis. But it must be coordinated by someone at the state level with locals for each site.

I will have to bring this issue to the Otisco Lake Preservation Society. Yes there is such a group and I don’t think they will be very happy about this. I have to agree with Justin. Man up. Take care of your trash. If you see someone dumping their trash say something!

No one on this site is leaving garbage
Its the local scum that keeps 9 inch bass on stringers

I will have to bring this issue to the Otisco Lake Preservation Society. Yes there is such a group and I don’t think they will be very happy about this. I have to agree with Justin. Man up. Take care of your trash. If you see someone dumping their trash say something!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app