Help with down riggers mounting

rfed32

Hey guys looking for some recommendations on how to mount my down riggers I was able to get a donated set of down riggers from my uncle. I have a 1994 14ft sylvan classic fisherman (this boat is not intended for Lake Ontario) the down riggers are cannon uni troll with 10lb balls. Any recommendations and pics would be great full

Photos of set up...

IMG_5322.JPGIMG_4994.JPGIMG_4980.JPGIMG_4568.JPGIMG_4643.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

36 minutes ago, rfed32 said:

Hey guys looking for some recommendations on how to mount my down riggers I was able to get a donated set of down riggers from my uncle. I have a 1994 14ft sylvan classic fisherman (this boat is not intended for Lake Ontario) the down riggers are cannon uni troll with 10lb balls. Any recommendations and pics would be great full

Photos of set up...

IMG_5322.JPGIMG_4994.JPGIMG_4980.JPGIMG_4568.JPGIMG_4643.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I built a couple pedestals out of aluminum and mounted them to the plywood seat tops where you have your rod holders on my little boat. Will post pictures when I get home

If you want to run both at the same time, I would make sure to stick with the long booms to increase the width of your spread. With that said, there is a lot of leverage created by those long booms. I like the idea of a board across the transom, or just forward of the transom on your boat. Seems as though it would the most durable and easy way to get things there. Also, that system would be very easy and quick to remove.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Riggers and rod holders mounted to the plywood. Riggers have a 6X6 3/8 thick aluminum backing plate under the plywood Dipsy rod holders I used SS fender washers as a backing. Rigger booms are extended to 5ft when in use with 12 lb weights. I usually run the riggers 90 deg out to the sides.Everything is plenty strong enough and been there a long time with no issues. Good luck with whatever you decide.

199906521_boat2.thumb.jpg.d93284113838327cabde8c62c902f76f.jpg

1273025135_boat1.thumb.jpg.c90abe9922da882d3d710925cc8ddcb7.jpg

Hewre is what we did with my son's very old aluminum boat for his long boom Penn downriggers. The wood is cedar dock planking with several coats of marine varnish and braced  in multiple places on the undersides.DSC00330.thumb.JPG.aa979084aaf62d1afb6c8c3d7679180f.JPG