Neighbors Who Hunt Property Lines

idn713

So as the title states I have a neighbor who insists on setting up yards over the property line, virtually guaranteeing that a wounded deer will run onto ours or the other neighbor’s property, they wound deer every year and this year they have wounded three and recovered none. 

Last night was the icing on the cake as a small buck was shot and then they tracked into my bedding area honey hole. Now I said they could (cause I don’t have the heart to be a dick) but when is enough, enough? I’m so sick of being careful and scent controlled only to have other people ruin it!!!!

• Like 1

It's obvious you don't get along with your neighbor. Unfortunately sitting in a tree stand on his property near the property line is totally legal. Post your property put up a trail cam get a picture of him on your property and you can have him arrested for trespassing. He shoots a deer on his property and it runs over on your side he needs to ask your permission to retrieve the deer you can deny it but all he has to do is call the dec. I don't think you can deny the dec access to your property. Good luck with your situation I know it sucks I've been there being a property owner you're always chasing people down.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Post your line. Ask them to call before crossing the line. Meet them at the line and ask where was the deer standing &  point of impact. I had a guy who was “tracking a deer” up into my treestand. Caught him a second time and I called the DEC. I requested that I the right to refuse him access for any reason and the DEC agreed and tracked him down. Trespassing is trespassing. They put others safety at risk.
I would love to walk through some of these trespassers backyards with a loaded 12 gauge. 

The line is posted every 20 yards. Gates are up restricting entry. I did give permission to track but I guess the point of this is that I am thinking about straight up not even allowing that. I just feel bad costing someone the opportunity at retrieving a deer but then again, maybe make a better shot.....

If you state no entry, (you only would pick up the tracking) it might help them think twice about bad shots but opens things up for hard feelings and denial of entry onto their property if you wound one. I would start with a conversation and express your frustration. 

Treat others how you want to be treated.

Your huge buck of a lifetime could run on their property too.

Tell them the situation and request they call you 1st. Ensure you are not hunting that day and you could help them or do the tracking on your property yourself.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Smat64 said:

Treat others how you want to be treated.

Your huge buck of a lifetime could run on their property too.

Tell them the situation and request they call you 1st. Ensure you are not hunting that day and you could help them or do the tracking on your property yourself.

This is true. Cooler heads did prevail and I suppose I may need the favor repaid some day.

• Like 2

So as the title states I have a neighbor who insists on setting up yards over the property line, virtually guaranteeing that a wounded deer will run onto ours or the other neighbor’s property, they wound deer every year and this year they have wounded three and recovered none. 

Last night was the icing on the cake as a small buck was shot and then they tracked into my bedding area honey hole. Now I said they could (cause I don’t have the heart to be a dick) but when is enough, enough? I’m so sick of being careful and scent controlled only to have other people ruin it!!!!

I feel your pain as I own 97 acres and my neighbor 7......he hunts the lines hard. People have every right to hunt right on top of you, as it’s their land. However they do not have a right to trespass. We started off nice where I offered him permission to track deer on my parcel but only if he called me to ask permission. He asked once, but then he started to trespass when I wasn’t there (he was an easy target on my trailcams and twice I followed his blood trails). I told him he could only enter my property with permission and I would accompany him on a tracking job. When he failed to do that and poached a deer and a turkey on my land , the big guns came out. Here’s what I did:

1.) he got two tickets from DEC for trespass. Next time he loses his license
2.) I wrote him letters and sent copies to my local sheriffs office and my DEC officer that states he can never enter my land ever again
3.) the letter was accompanied by all of his pics of illegal entry on my trailcams
4.) if he shots a deer and it runs into my land, I myself will track it after dark and take it to his doorstep to be ethical.
5.) I have a civil lawsuit for $100,000 ready to be filed for any damages sustained if he walks on my land ever again. This is a long shot but legal action can deter a holes

Bottom line is we started off nice but he stabbed me in the back. I used the proper channels with DEC and police to enforce my boundaries and his actions have since stopped. He also seems to have started hunting elsewhere.....you have to be firm with folks like this

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 2

In Pa. signs 20 yds. Apart tresspassers would say they never saw the sign. We would post every year and sign were hung every 10’ to 15’. He will get the idea especially when he has to look at them when he hunts

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I hve 2 guys who own 5 acres and stands right on the property line literally on the tree with the posted sign.. Ome guy is facing into my land. Another guy his piece is 50 yards wide... 5 acres long his stand is one foot from the property post. Unless he drops a deer its going over someones line.. I do like the letter idea.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I will offer the flip side and be devils advocate. We have leased property in Albion for over twenty years. The 90 acre property is long and narrow. There are some stands near the property line with the neighbor to the West (two out of a dozen). We have never shot over the property line and never would, but we have had wounded deer die on his property, usually within fifty yards of the edge. In fact, we have had to call for permission to track deer that were shot from stands on the OTHER side of the property, so moving the two stands would not change the fact that deer go to his land to die (good cover, I guess).

Every time, we have to listen to the father, who's older, dress us down for having stands on the property line. They don't shoot does and they own a double wide lot. We have been denied access once, and because two deer last weekend died on their property (both visible from the line), I'm afraid that we will be denied access in the future.

It sucks. I don't even want to hunt over there. Which I suspect is the purpose, but really?? If we have to recover one or two deer a year, I'm not sure how that interferes with their hunting. The deer are invariably close to the line, and we don't mess us the rest of their property. Hunting should be relaxing, an escape, not yet another source of BS. Communication has been futile, and we've just accepted it as a caveat of leasing there. But it really sucks.

1 hour ago, Gator said:

I will offer the flip side and be devils advocate. We have leased property in Albion for over twenty years. The 90 acre property is long and narrow. There are some stands near the property line with the neighbor to the West (two out of a dozen). We have never shot over the property line and never would, but we have had wounded deer die on his property, usually within fifty yards of the edge. In fact, we have had to call for permission to track deer that were shot from stands on the OTHER side of the property, so moving the two stands would not change the fact that deer go to his land to die (good cover, I guess).

Every time, we have to listen to the father, who's older, dress us down for having stands on the property line. They don't shoot does and they own a double wide lot. We have been denied access once, and because two deer last weekend died on their property (both visible from the line), I'm afraid that we will be denied access in the future.

It sucks. I don't even want to hunt over there. Which I suspect is the purpose, but really?? If we have to recover one or two deer a year, I'm not sure how that interferes with their hunting. The deer are invariably close to the line, and we don't mess us the rest of their property. Hunting should be relaxing, an escape, not yet another source of BS. Communication has been futile, and we've just accepted it as a caveat of leasing there. But it really sucks.

So your situation I understand. But constant marginal shots, undersized deer shooting and then retrieving 200+ yards into bedding area is more my gripe. Your situation seems ethical, and the deer are expiring quickly. If it was a 20 , 50, heck 100 yard quick pop over the line to grab a deer, then I wouldn’t care at all. It’s about constantly wounding deer and then not finding them but spending hours over the line tracking. It’s such a pain. 

Look this thread seems like two totally different things... bad neighbors is the big thing here. I actually don't care where people hang their stands. It is well within their rights to do so. What you do on your land is all up to you. I may not like it but it is still your right to do so. However their intensions may change that opinion. I have had bad neighbors purposely hang stands on the property line in order to get shots in the fields on my side of the line. I have seen this too many times to count. It actually makes me laugh. You own the woods but for some reason you would rather have the field, Ill trade ya! Bad neighbors always seem to think the grass is greener on your side. 

I will also play Devil's advocate. All of my ground is heavy agricultural. It is literally property chopped up into squares and rectangles with the majority of it consisting of fields. The small wood lots associated with these properties is really all there is. If I had to guess I would say that almost every one of my stands are within 100 yards or less of the property line. It is just the nature of the beast. With that being said, in all of my hunting life (25 years) I have had to contact the neighbors for permission to retrieve deer only 5 times.

The first time was gun opener when I was 18. Shot a buck and dropped him within 50 yards of the property line. I watched the buck drop so I walked up on him after waiting ten minutes and impatiently bumped him onto the neighbors. The neighbor was hunting, witnessed the whole thing, met me at the property line (as I was blood trailing), and walked me to the dead deer in his field.

Once was deemed unnecessary because in hind site deer never made it onto the neighbors

Once was a bow kill about 50 yards from the property line and deer ran onto the neighbors an additional 20 or so and died

Once was a gun buck shot 70 yards from the property line and we tracked/retrieved it 100+ yards into the neighbors

And last and most recent was a wounded bow buck. Shot within 20 yards of the property line. It eventually went onto the neighbors and lost the blood trail

The point is every time I needed to access to the adjacent property, I reached out to the neighbor for permission.

My point is bad neighbors are bad neighbors. Doesnt matter where their stands are. It is very important to know your neighbors (good or bad) and make sure they know you. I make it a point to meet my neighbors and exchanged information. I do my best to be a good neighbor. And always remember zero tolerance. And of course trespassing is never acceptable. 

I have a new problem this year with my land which I bought 45 years ago. For the past 20 years my four neighbors and i had an agreement. We all only shot big mature bucks and we stayed on our own land. Now my one neighbor died and a land investment company bought his property. It was subdivided into 10 lots. The problems have started already. While archery hunting I had two guys come by, not near the line but 300 yds onto my land. I guess I'll have to hunt my property line this year just to educate my new neighbors. It was nice not having to act like a crazy SOB for years but it seems that is all these jerks listen to. What a year. First my boat was set adrift by some punks now I have to deal with these a-holes.

Damn, after reading this thread I feel lucky. Me and my neighbor have an agreement. During archery and the first couple days riffle, we each keep to our own property. If one shoots a deer, the other helps track it regardless of which property its on. After the first couple of days, we conduct drives together. Last year I pushed him a nice 8pt, so I guess its his turn to push me one this year.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

You guys need to start doing what my buddies and I do.  There's a few guys that hunt right next to us, so.... my friends and I just each take turns sitting in a stand RIGHT next to theirs on our side of the property line.  We always get into the woods earlier then the other guys.  So after a few times of showing up to their stand only to find one of us already sitting right next to them smiling... they moved his stand further in.

Did the same thing with a trespasser's stand on a private property we got access to.  Found someone had been hunting there without the owner knowing.  So... we put our stand up on the tree next to theirs and used their shooting lanes.  After a while, we found that stand was moved.

My favorite form of Aggression is Passive Aggression!  And we spend so much time in the woods, who cares if it screws up a couple sits.  Thats why we take turns.  hahaha

• Like 2