Owasco lake copper

I'm looking for some advice on setting up two copper reels specifically for Owasco? I'm starting from scratch. Reels, wire # test and the two most productive lengths? Any other input like backer, rods, swivels and leader would be awesome. I think this would apply to other lakes as well. Tight lines!!! long time....

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

SamonSez, Thanks for the reply! I actually have already read the article and will read it again. I've also watched some YouTube videos on Copper rigging but was curious if any of the guys that fish Owasco lake had any preference on what two setups would likely be the most productive on Owasco.... long time...

• Like 1

You can buy pre spooled combos up north, fat Nancy’s, all season’s, etc. that’s the route i went. Standard 45 pound copper wire leader and backing. Line counter a plus as I do not always let out all my copper. eBay even has pre spooled reels for sale, and sometimes combos.

Thanks as always lyk2fish you offer great advice! I would like to build my own copper rig tho. it'll give me something to do and look forward to this winter. Do you use inline boards and clip the copper directly to them? What's your longest copper that you would use on Owasco?

Thanks as always lyk2fish you offer great advice! I would like to build my own copper rig tho. it'll give me something to do and look forward to this winter. Do you use inline boards and clip the copper directly to them? What's your longest copper that you would use on Owasco?

I would recommend a reel with a high retrieve rate. I use seagate 60s for my lead core n copper set ups! Not terribly expensive n decent quality for the weekend or weekday warrior !

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

For the Finger Lakes fishing you don't necessarily need the heaviest duty or most expensive  equipment for running coppers where you don't have to be concerned about Kings:smile:. I have a couple of Okuma Magda Pro 45Dx's on Okuma Classic Pro medium downrigger rods that I use exclusively for that purpose. One is a 300 ft copper with 200 yds of 30 lb braid backing, and the other a 250 ft copper with 200 yds. of braid backing. They will get down approximately 60 ft for the 300 and 50 or so for the 250. I can add snap on weights to each for greater depth if needed. For fish above that range I use dedicated leadcores !,3, 5, 7, and 10's. A 300 copper is about all you want to be reeling in, and time-wise about all if you intend to release fish. I use 32# copper on the Fingers as it fits most reels better than the 45# and the sink rate isn't drastically different. I generally run a 20 ft long Seaguar fluoro leader of 10-12 lb test. If running from inline boards don't clip to the copper itself only to the braid. Run a #8 Spro barrel swivel (will go through most rod eyes fine) at the connection between the braid and copper and use a haywire twist for the copper knot and Palomar knot from the barrel swivel to the leader. Use only a SOLID ring ball bearing swivel at the terminus (the split ring type can cut your line at the knot) and many knots can be used on the swivel snap I use either a clinch knot or a Palomar. Good luck with it Long Time:smile:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 4

The use of designated lengths of leadcores is for variable conditions and to be able to use them immediately as they are already set up to fish those depths. The drawback is that they take up space on a boat and may be considered by some to be redundant and expensive.Another method where expense or space is a consideration is to wind up designated lengths of copper with leaders and swivels etc.all set on old line spools marked accordingly and then attach them to a single rod/reel setup with backing on it as needed.

Edited by Sk8man

Ok thanks!! Gotcha! I'm thinking that I'm going to set up one 300 ft copper rig and splice in a piece of ? lb monofilament or braid? at 100 and 200 to attach to the board that should give me some flexibility... will this work and can I get 300 ft of 45# on the Okuma 45 size reel If I cut down on the backer? Two splices could be10- 20-30 ft ? to get the copper on the outside of the downrigger?

If set up the way I suggested there is no need to splice in anything attach the boards directly to the braid backing. Any time you have line separations (with anything) it is a potential weak spot for potential failure for one thing. I wouldn't cut corners in terms of reducing the amount of backing you can always add weight to the copper to get more depth. Although it may not be as critical as on Lake O where the kings operate a big landlock, rainbow or brown can take out quite a bit of line so 300 ft and attaching to boards  could really be pressing the limits with a good sized fish. I nearly got spooled a couple of years ago with 200 YARDS of braid on Lake O and the huge king got away with my whole 300 copper when he snapped the copper at the twist. Pretty spooky when you can see your metal spool while the fish is still taking line:lol:. When using boards whether big ones or inlines you'll often be adjusting the amount out so you want plenty on there and as few line separations as possible.Most of the time I let out just enough backing to get the copper down under. You may wish to go to a 55 Convector reel which may allow for more backing and still use the 45# wire. If you weren't using boards and were just running the copper down the chute you could probably get away with 150 yds.of Powerpro 30 lb braid and the 45 lb 300 copper.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks again Sk8man! These are totally new to me. Do you use them often? What weights do you like? Where do you clip them on the line? My core should cover down to 50-60 ft and want the copper to get me to at least 70ft it would be nice tho if I could use the copper like the core and let out what's needed for different depths on a board....

I doubt whether copper really fits Owasco lake. The lakers really are not very big and 250 or 300 feet of copper ( unless light weight) often hides the hit of smaller fish. That is unless you hand pull copper.

Lakers in Owasco Lake do not really adhere very much to a specific depth. They often are all over the place following the different bait schools. In my experience downriggers with long lines (50 feet) behind the ball will allow you to raise and lower your presentation according to what you see on your fish finder. leadcore or weighted steel are the more sensitive presentations by virtue of being lighter than copper. The main problem I have with copper in Owasco lake is that by the time you have reeled in the fish, it often is spent just because of fighting the weight, the distance and time . Release becomes iffy because the fish are exhausted.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

Rolmops, thanks for the reply! One of the main reasons that I wanted try a Copper rig was that Lyk2fish has been slaying everything Owasco has to offer on them. I'm just trying to learn what I can about them so I can hopefully make the right decision on how to set up and use one. My wife and I have had a very decent summer of fishing for us on Owasco useing riggers and core. We've learned so much from you guys here on the forum and appreciate it tremendously! Long time...