Starcraft Fishmaster 196 stern design advantage trolling

digitroll

I think the high cut-out design is a big help to net and release fish as it puts you safely closer to the water and having the cushioned back to keep you from falling in the lake.  90% of bowriders are "Multi-Specie design"  meaning an open back and low raised deck.  What makes this boat unique is the back is closed off keeping passengers safe at all times and keeping waves out of the back of the boat that sometimes splash into your transom if people are standing in the back reeling and netting a fish in a big following sea.  My former 19 ft Sea Nymph  (Fly Guy owns) had the same design of a high back.  This design has appealed to me since 1984 for trolling Ontario and here.  Essentially a big water boat that is trolling specific.  

Top view:

IMG-1807.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure of the question on the transom , but bottom line in either boat ; you have to pick your days on Lake Ontario and esp. Lake Erie  ! We were out on the AM on the day the boaters were swapped off Point Breeze in a bigger boat than mine [ with one fatality ] I had a newbie with me [ I give basic lessons in seamanship to the young people ] On that day I stressed the importance of wind direction , that day strong from the south . ie. the further out we go the worse it gets !

I think the question was transom height. With a low transom, heavy seas, trolling with the waves, a low transom boat could swamped. It’s happened on Erie and all four people were lost. Granted it was in March and all died of hypothermia.