Building a LO Salmon strike box

Baddad1

Having done some reading and some online window shopping, I am getting closer to wanting to pull the trigger and start getting geared now rather than wait until I'm rushed into buying the wrong damn thing when spring hits... Unfortunately, I still have plenty of questions and felt the need to reach out and ask before I pull the trigger. I know my questions will have variables so let me start out by saying I will be fishing out of a 22' islander while the wife drives and helps get the fish on deck. We are in our fifties, still very agile and love to learn. As we start this, we most likely will be warm weather folks that don't mind a jacket, but don't really care to head out too early, or late in the season in search of Salmon.  My understanding so far is fishing during that time of the year will most likely be pushing us further offshore in search of colder waters and deeper fish. So my first couple questions are; how deep is the thermocline typically that time of the year and how should I be rigging my boat?  I was thinking two lines on each of the port and starboard downriggers. I am open to running some dipseys, but wasn't wholly convinced I could get deep enough to be effective. 

Thanks,

Marty

I started king fishing with my wife as well when we moved to NY in 2015. Start out with two riggers and two dipseys and go from there.

I hate to say it, because I dont know how your wife handles a boat, but autopilot saved our marriage lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you want to keep you wife happy I recommend an autopilot. 1 person on rod, 1 on net, autopilot to steer...

2 riggers 1 rod each, 2 divers, 2 inline planer rods to pull up to 5 color lead cores and/or 200 & 300’ weighted steel.

2 people, 6 rods, nothing down the middle to get in the way. An easy spread to setup and run.

John E Powell

John’s Custom Rods

Winner, 2016 International Custom Rod Building Challenge.

• Like 1

If you want to keep you wife happy I recommend an autopilot. 1 person on rod, 1 on net, autopilot to steer...

2 riggers 1 rod each, 2 divers, 2 inline planer rods to pull up to 5 color lead cores and/or 200 & 300’ weighted steel.

2 people, 6 rods, nothing down the middle to get in the way. An easy spread to setup and run.

John E Powell
John’s Custom Rods
Winner, 2016 International Custom Rod Building Challenge.

This.

And would add a couple of cheaters on the riggers if your getting the hang of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

10 hours ago, wishinfishin said:

This.

And would add a couple of cheaters on the riggers if your getting the hang of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

John and Chuck provided you with great info to start with . Experiment from there. Sometimes you can't just depend on the thermocline itself (e.g. summer) as the kings can be down well below it in 42 or 43 degree water and they can sometimes be mistaken for lake trout.

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

I have previously taken her out on a salmon charter on a less than perfect day to judge if she has sea legs or not. She did great and truly enjoyed herself. Unfortunately during that trip I was a little disappointed that my questions were dismissed and I began to feel the captain was more concerned about turning a profit. But to be fair, the booking was through fishingbooker and I never was able to get ahold of him prior to and discuss my goals for the trip. So I do plan on going again and booking the next trip differently.

Regarding auto pilot and the wife... Totally worth the cost of that aspirin! I do plan to practice on Cayuga until I am confident in myself and have her experienced in what comes next. Figured a few trials of two lines then four, etc. moving them port to starboard etc. should help as well.

Now for another question, is there anyone on this forum or would you recommend a person to talk with at a local tackle shop? I prefer to do business locally and not always stressed on getting the best price as I prefer quality of service. I googled a few things and taken a couple road trips but really hadn’t come across what I was hoping to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app