Ice Fishing the lakeshore Ponds.

BobM

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Liogundog. I did note some ice covering at salmon creek bridge on braddock bay yesterday......12/18/20. Thought it may be a bit thin though. warmer weather for this weekend may break it down but still a good sign. I also noted the water level a bit low too. Wonder if stews deli has bait yet? I'll have to call him.

I have been ice fishing nearly my entire life and I am still amazed at the stupidity of some folks; especially early and late season. These folks risk not only their own safety or lives but that of others pulled into the situation to help rescue them. They also divert resources away from other necessary matters (e.g. ambulances and fire trucks etc.). Even 3 to 4 inches of hard clear ice is real spooky and requires great caution.....people just can't wait and have zero patience and it can cost them dearly. Even if it doesn't cost them their life going into that cold water is one of the worst experiences that can be imagined and hypothermia can set in very quickly and before rescuers can arrive. Just not worth it. The fish will still be there when conditions are safer.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It’s not what you think . Some fishermen just are not street smart . They probably are great fishermen but lack common sense . They honestly don’t no what’s safe and what’s not. They see only one thing (Fish) and have no sense of there sourandigs .

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It should also be noted that going through the ice can happen to anyone regardless of experience or skill level. Ice that may have been safe the day before may have changed overnight or even while out on it early on or late in the season. The use of bubblers by cottage owners and marinas etc. has further stepped up the danger because the currents generated by them can travel hundreds of yards under the ice away from the  bubbler itself. Another common hazard is when there is open water somewhere on a lake or pond. It can be very far away and yet influences the quality of the ice as the wind can push the water and get it moving under the ice eroding it  a long away from the edge. Often I see people fishing the edge of the ice near open water and it is about the most dangerous area to be on. There can also be running streams at the periphery of lakes that deteriorate the ice, gas pockets, and places where geese and ducks may have opened up that then froze over and are much thinner than the surrounding ice. It goes on and on but stupid or naive people certainly add to the problem. The bottom line is that no matter how experienced or knowledgeable you are you are always taking some degree of risk standing on frozen water. The trick is to minimize that degree of risk while out there. Often one of the most dangerous part of it is going out or coming back in as the shore ice is always a question mark for many reasons and it can change in minutes or hours..

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very true. I once drove my vehicle onto Eel Bay and was the first on the ice that day. It was still dark and people had previously driven on the ice. For some reason I stopped and cut a hole and there was over a foot of ice. As I reentered my vehicle it was breaking light enough for me to see open water about 125 yards ahead. Lesson learned!
I’ve only put 1 leg through near a dock and had a friend do the same where current ate away the ice. I also had a friend drop his new snowmobile through (in a spot he had crossed earlier) while we were fishing the river. On another occasion two friend drop through as they walked toward us. We had used a snowmobile and a 4 wheeler to get to the spot and were able to get them out.
Experience has made me much more cautious. Particularly on the SLR where current can change conditions in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sounds like it's still too early, but cheer up......colder weather is on the way for next weekend and after......let's hope but be safe. Antone know if Stew's grocery near cranberry pond has mouses spikes and minnows?. I need to call them.

Someone on the on the other site reported someone out on Long Pond today and gave a 2nd hand report of 3 1/2” near shoe. I’m in disbelief. I live by Durand-Eastman and the ponds (even the sheltered, shaded coves) aren’t ready yet. How can wide open ponds with a Lake Ontario wind have fishable ice?

Tent set up on long pond right now pitch black 50 yards from open water. Using what looked light glow in the dark tip ups. Guy is crazy lol I don’t recommend going out there. Lots of action up north in the 1000 islands area. LOI has good ice as well as a few bays. Chaumont bay is not ready yet but is making progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 1/12/2021 at 6:54 PM, Kevin J Legg said:

I saw 2 shanties about 50 yards off shore just before Long Point State Park. I’ll stay on safer ice till conditions improve. Open water at Shangrila.

Hey Kevin...do you reckon they were pike fishing that close to shore? Not much of a chance of getting perch or eyes in that close, would you think? I’ve never been to Chaumont but it’s on my list for this weekend. Unfortunately, I think Indian River Lakes just went from Plan B to Plan A and Eel or LOTI being plan C (although I prefer to avoid combat fishing....I’m reading that the crowds are a little big and include a fair share of litter bugs).