Ice Fishing the lakeshore Ponds.

BobM

I heard it opened up all the way to Cherry Island and into Guffins Bay. Not sure what the two shanties were fishing for but perhaps perch as I didn’t see tipups. Looks like it might tighten up next week.
Big crowds on LOTI and Goose Bay as many from downstate are looking for safe ice. We fished both spots this week and it was very slow for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Supposed to be some pretty cold weather coming soon supposedly for an extended period. The water temps are down now so we should get frozen fairly quickly once it happens although in many spots wind velocity and direction will be a factor.

Edited by Sk8man

Looks to me like we might make it through January with no below zero temperatures. Most all places with ice fishing access have been very crowded. There were 20 vehicles at Hyde Lake parking area this morning. Lot was full and a couple parked up the hill. The 1000 Islands area has been absolutely pounded the last couple weeks.

We were on Hyde today but we got there wicked early so parking wasn’t an issue. All the smallish perch we wanted. Kept a couple dozen of the biggest ones. Grubs and all. It’s a small lot so there there was plenty of room to fish. No one was pressuring anybody. Were you out on Hyde today, Kevin?

We were on Hyde today but we got there wicked early so parking wasn’t an issue. All the smallish perch we wanted. Kept a couple dozen of the biggest ones. Grubs and all. It’s a small lot so there there was plenty of room to fish. No one was pressuring anybody. Were you out on Hyde today, Kevin?

Nope just drove down to check. Often avoid the weekend crowds since I can fish any day. Especially now when fishing locations are limited. If Chaumont ever develops safe ice it will relieve much of the pressure near me now.

• Like 1

Makes sense. I’m 3 years away from retirement and I’ll be running a similar program. If there were ice at home I’d probably be on Honeoye. As it is, I’m in a hotel room watching the Bills game, trying to figure out what tomorrow might look like. Done enough smallish perch for one weekend.

Just drove by the ponds and here is what I found:  Cranberry - 90% open water, Long - 65% open water, Buck - 50% open water.  What was left didn't look good and was getting chewed up by the wind and waves.  I didn't have time to swing into Braddocks but I would imagine it is open water.  

1 hour ago, Kevin J Legg said:

Looks like 2 on snowmobiles may have gone through on Black Lake. They found their helmets.

Father and daughter. What god-awful news. 
https://www.nny360.com/news/stlawrencecounty/it-s-a-recovery-effort-at-this-point-search-efforts-resume-on-black-lake-for/article_096f5f62-59a2-11eb-8884-23681c2859cd.html