Late Muzzleloader

Kevin J Legg

Good choice Kevin!  I'm not a fan of the pellets due to cost.  I don't think velocities are as consistent with the pellets either.  The other thing that always bugged me was that the pellets can break seating the bullet/sabot depending on how hard they load.  I've never actually used the bh209 but I would try it if I didn't do smokeless. 

Good choice Kevin!  I'm not a fan of the pellets due to cost.  I don't think velocities are as consistent with the pellets either.  The other thing that always bugged me was that the pellets can break seating the bullet/sabot depending on how hard they load.  I've never actually used the bh209 but I would try it if I didn't do smokeless. 

Everything I researched points to BH 209.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 1/3/2021 at 7:10 PM, justtracytrolling said:

I'm using 44 grains of Accurate Arms 5744.  This is SMOKELESS powder do not use it in any muzzleloader not designed for smokeless powder.  I would use my crossbow before I went back to black powder.  My savage holds 1.25 moa accuracy out to 400 yards and under 1 moa to 200.  Powder is free compared to triple seven or pyrodex.  Box of 50xtps is cheap.  I have to get special sabots and magnum primers, but they aren't any more expensive.  The gun itself is the expensive part if you can find one.  Savage can no longer make them as part of a lawsuit settlement.  The gun is safe, but apparently people couldn't follow the simple instructions and there were accidents.  

Justin, I see that there are currently four nice looking ML 10 IIs on Gunbroker.  They start at a grand and the current bid on one with scope and accessories is almost 1900.  I think I paid around 750 for mine at Beikirchs maybe 8 years ago.  One issue with the ML II is that Savage no longer offers any parts.  I see on ebay that there are aftermarket ventliners and breech plugs, guess I should take a chance and stock up.  Right now I can't find any primers online, very little AA 5744, etc.  It's crazy, hope things settle down.

Black Horn 209 in my opinion is the best to load. However over the years of using it it is far superior in repeatability of accuracy to weight the load, not measure it   

Edited by scobar

11 hours ago, jperch said:

Justin, I see that there are currently four nice looking ML 10 IIs on Gunbroker.  They start at a grand and the current bid on one with scope and accessories is almost 1900.  I think I paid around 750 for mine at Beikirchs maybe 8 years ago.  One issue with the ML II is that Savage no longer offers any parts.  I see on ebay that there are aftermarket ventliners and breech plugs, guess I should take a chance and stock up.  Right now I can't find any primers online, very little AA 5744, etc.  It's crazy, hope things settle down.

Theres several guys building plugs for the savages

I use to use the TC stp's also and loved the accuracy but not the terminal damage. Switched to Hornady xtp hollow points and much better results and great blood trails . I also had a long track on my last deer , low hit and slightly back but the hollow point did it's job and kept the blood trickling. With the STP  I probably would not have found it.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:28 PM, jperch said:

There is quite a community of smokeless long range muzzleloader guys out there and with a little research you will find what you need for parts.  I'm not comfortable with advising anyone on where to go for savage mlII parts n accessories, but I can honestly say I've had no issues getting parts and I usually buy everything in bulk and stock up once I figure out what I like.  I learned back in the early 90's when I found a particular slug that shot awesome in my rifled slug gun AND gave me a blood trail.  The next year they changed the design and load.  I was lucky to find a case of them leftover and all the same lot#.  I still have several seasons worth left and no longer hunt with a slug gun, but if I decide to Im not scrambling.  If you keep ammo absolutely arid dry and sealed in proper storage it seemingly lasts forever.  I know it's a pia these days, but if we all exercise a little patience and plan way ahead of time politics and supply chain shortages from Covid shouldn't affect us much.  Everyone just has to learn to plan ahead and anticipate struggling to find inventory of what were common items.  We as sportsmen should be setting the example in overcoming problems and now more than ever unify on issues we agree on and put aside our differences as we are a self sufficient lot that shouldn't need much from our politicians and should flourish with or without them.  Vote your conscience at election time and the rest of the year take care of you and yours...arguing with each other is absurd behavior as what we see going on can't be solved in that matter.

• Like 2