36v ulterra on a 21’ boat

Cody191

Hi all, was wondering if a 36v is going to be enough for pulling around a 21’ boat while trolling? I have a trophy 205 that needs a tm but wondering if it will move it well enough. If you have one on a 21’ boat what’s your top trolling speed? I know I’ll probably need a kicker but can’t afford that right now. I could troll all day in a 17’ boat with 24v Terrova up to 3.5 mph but the trophy is a lot bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one on my 21' Lund and use my kicker to propel me. I can fish all day this way. In a 3 mile current my 36v Terrova lasts about 5hrs on spot lock. I've never tried to just troll with the Terrova for a day. If you're looking for a Terrova let me know. I can price one out for you.

I have a 36 volt 112 lb Terrova on a Trophy 2052 I/O. Boat weighs 3500 lbs. I troll with the main engine running as slow as possible, about 650 rpm with the 4.3 Mercruiser. Use the Terrova as autopilot and to control final trolling speed as necessary. It is extremely good at those functions. My problem is deploying it and retrieving it when done. Can be bad in 3+ ft waves. I don't believe you will have much luck using it as the only trolling power source on a 3500 lb boat.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes I have done that in the past. It worked ok. This is an aluma craft trophy 205. It’s probably closer to 2500-3000 lbs but I’m betting the 36v still won’t be enough to be the stand alone propulsion for trolling plugs, cranks at 2-2.5 for extended periods. Maybe just when I’m live baiting at .5-1 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same Ulterra on my 21' Ranger that probably weighs 3500 with the motors. Even with the 31 size AGM's I can barely run it as an auotpilot at 3-4 power all day and no way I could use it as the only power. I'd think it'd be fine for 0.5-1.0mph though. I do that at times but never for long periods so I can't say how long it can run like that. I think my top speed is 2.5-3.0mph. If I get out again this year, I'll check.

Aircraft with long distance wiring cables use higher battery voltages like 36 volt to power up the aircraft. It is important that larger gauge copper wire is used. Also inverters can put out 120 volt AC for Football games, etc. A second or third battery can handle the trolling speed more. Battery systems weigh about as much as another trolling engine.Charging systems at home or at the dock will make you a "Greenie".