Predator 20/21

whaler1

1 hour ago, whaler1 said:

Good luck Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I’m so disgusted.   Went out behind my pond and noticed I only have 3 ducks (Had 5 last night). I called for 40min and nothin came out. I looked around and found feathers.  The son of a b*tches came and grabbed two ducks last night. Now the wife is a mess and I’m on a warpath! Grabbin my 4 other spypoints from the swamps tomarrow and setting a perimeter with the 7 I have.  Expect to c me posting dead dog and cats in the near future!

Boy was our New Years day a happy one! We ran this yote for over 3 hours balls to the wall with the hounds very close behind. With only 3 hunters this morning we waited for the perfect shot about 30 yards after a few opportunities that were a little far out. This adventure took us accrost 4 county blocks and back again and we took him down only a couple of hundred of yards away from were we first jumped him.IMG_20210101_113330761.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 6

county blocks and back again and we took him down only a couple of hundred of yards away from were we first jumped him.

Never hunted with dogs. Is it normal that they circle around to where things started ? Or do they just run in a straight line to get away from the dogs ?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Never hunted with dogs. Is it normal that they circle around to where things started ? Or do they just run in a straight line to get away from the dogs ?

Good question! Some times if you don't bang away at them in a block they will run around in tight circles and you will get to see them many of times in front of the hounds and other times if they get shot at in a block they will travel to the next county. No kidding! We have started them in kendall Orleans county kilt them in Hilton monroe county before.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, JJBat150 said:

Everything circles when followed... everything!  Doesn't matter if you walk the track or put a dog on it...always think circles.  No critter wants to leave it comfort zone people included.  They also try to run a contour line as it's just never good to go down hill as they will end up in place where it's all uphill to escape eventually and going uphill means to many calories burned.  We were deer hunting once and a buddy was with me and he missed out on a shot at a yote.  It was windy and unlikely to see anything else till dusk which was hours away.  He was dejected and really wanted a yote and he was like I'll never see that one again.  I said I'll bet you I can have that yote back here on that same trail before dark.  He thought it would be impossible to drive it back...Didn't take me 3 hours and he dumped it walking its own tracks exactly.  He still thinks it's ridiculous when everything does that if you just keep following long enough and have enough land with permission...I didn't take a gun and just followed

223 is fine as well. Usually we use 17 for fox and 204 for coyotes but Saturday night they were hoping for yotes but saw nothing but fox

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 1/2/2021 at 7:08 PM, ken frearson said:

They are walker hounds . I have been running then for many of yearsIMG_20200301_153951593.jpeg

We use walkers as well with a bit of beagle in em...pound for pound beagle is awfully gritty!  Before we built in our own coyote pen other pen owners would have us bring our gun dogs in before big trials so the coyotes would run from the soft trial hounds.  I'm not implying your walkers are trial dogs at all....sounds like they stay on em and make em run fine!!!  I'm sure you know how those track switching fox hounds run especially if they only run in pens.   

• Like 1

Probably gonna give it go in the am if it doesn't crust up bad.  We will be running just outside the pen...the corners make it bout as easy as you could hope for and roads thru the pen make it so we can get to the other side quicker than the yote which doesn't happen anywhere else down here.