What to do when deer season ends?

Kevin J Legg

The wife and I bud capped hundreds of small conifers yesterday with aluminum screen to prevent browsing. It was too late this year for most of the small white pine. My wife was PO'd, but she's the one that removed the mesh cages earlier this year. Protect it or lose it in deer country. 
My neighbor and I planted 900 white pine seedlings a few years ago. Deer wiped every single one out!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Wow! I haven't seen that many bunnies in years. Must not be any Yotes nearby where you were hunting.

Edited by Sk8man

3 hours ago, Missdemeanor said:

Nothing better than hearing the sound of the beagles in hot pursuit!
Thanks Bruce.... Stella and Nova were awesome today.111644.jpeg

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow! May I ask what county in NY? Hsvent had a beagle/rabbit dog in years...memorable times.

Great job guys!

I did see yote tracks today... It was just super thick property...
I've hunted behind a few beagles, and I've never seen a dog better than Bruce's Miss Stella... Her and Nova worked great together.. Some icy conditions were tough on them.

Wow! May I ask what county in NY? Hsvent had a beagle/rabbit dog in years...memorable times.
Great job guys!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Missdemeanor said:

Nothing better than hearing the sound of the beagles in hot pursuit!
Thanks Bruce.... Stella and Nova were awesome today.111644.jpeg

Great job guys!

Great job guys!

What a great day you had in the field. I haven’t seen rabbits like that in years! We did shoot 17 snowshoes on a hunt back in the late 70’s or early 80’s. Love to be able to hear the dogs again. Also a great way to introduce kids to hunting. I can remember hunting rabbits with my dad 60 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cool just saw this Matt. Fun again. Look forward to next hunt.

Here was up north 2 yrs ago. Last one ran a mile and then circled. Long hike in 4 feet of snow but we got him and my buddy had it mounted. Best hunt for shoes yet. I can’t figure how to get the picture on but we got 12 snow shoes that day.

Honestly, coyotes don't decimate fawns as much as many think.  The areas where fawn predation is on the high side are areas where there isnt enough tall grass, goldenrod, etc for does to leave their fawns.  Coyotes  hunt fawns by sight and can't smell them during  the period when fawns are vulnerable.  Also, the new coyotes move in almost immediately if the area has good coyote habitat.  Even in deep snow coyotes don't kill healthy deer.  Gut shoot a deer with a bow on my lease or the golf course i hunt a little and before you can nock another arrow there is a coyote on the deer.  Coyotes survive by hunting mice and by being the most adaptable opportunistic predators.  Bobcats on  the other hand are much better at killing healthy deer and rabbits and  basically never miss given an opportunity, but really need perfect habitat to live in long term.  My deer lease and surrounding area is infested with deer, rabbits, and coyotes.  Nearly every doe has 2 fawns and the only years I see a dip in rabbits and hear them killed we consistently see bocats, and catch them in traps.  Watch deer behavior at night with night vision and they hardly pay any attention to coyotes in the same field.

A bobcat will not kill a healthy deer!

• 2 weeks later...