Other Covid Relief Package 300 million to fisheries

With our $600 relief check we get from the Fed, (what the rich congressmen think that the  poor people think that is a lot of money) and the $300 million that's going to fisheries. (Which I doubt we see any of that used in NY or PA. IDK.) I'd  vote for the Congressman that snuck that in. (LOL) However they did send $25 million to the Kennedy Center. (All PORK) Almost shameful to be a fisherman. What a mess we are all in. Just my thoughts. Merry Christmas 

True 'dat.

I'm all for cleaning up the great lakes, but it doesn't belong in a COVID relief package. I'm hearing lots of pork made it in, though, unsurprisingly. Strange days are these.

I agree Keith. It is no accident that the bill was nearly 6,000 pages long and that nobody reads what they voted for except perhaps some poor schmuck intern that had to stay up nights just so they could assure the congressperson that their favorite pork barrel project was in there. Government no longer serves the people regardless of party in power. The Founding Fathers probably would not be surprised but certainly disheartened by the perversions of the system and Constitution.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

You can't be confused by the fact that congress has combined two bills into one. Apparently, they believe it is the only way they can pass either bill in a timely manor, if at all.

One bill is the Annual Federal Budget which must be passed in order to keep the federal government operating. It funds all federal agencies and programs, domestic and global. If it is not passed, many federal employees will be laid off and many programs will come to a halt. We really don't want that to happen in the middle of a pandemic and while so many people have already lost their jobs.

The other bill is the COVID-19 pandemic relief package which is very important to help fight the pandemic and to help people who have been most affected by the pandemic.

There is probably pork in both bills because there is such an impenetrable wall between the two parties that no single item can be passed as a stand alone bill. Therefore they must package a lot of unrelated things together in order to get anything passed. They can't just say we will sign that bill if you sign this one. Their word has depreciated in value over the years. So over time, this has caused all bills to become more and more bloated. Throw in the big donors and lobbyists, including many special interests, to the mix and you have to wonder how anything ever gets passed. If they had to pass every item in a bill as a stand alone bill, it would take years to not pass anything. But it is crazy how they mix unrelated items into a bill and try to include items that only benefit their rich donors.

Now we have all the agitators on the internet and in the news, some of which are foreign enemies who want to cause divisiveness and end our democracy and all democracies.

• Like 1

Hey Muskie, thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense now. And makes it all that much more confusing at the same time...

So much for transparency. We are our own worse enemies, some days. Sigh.

when I first saw this bill. I new it was dead on arrival. The people that wrote this bill should be drug tested and given an IQ test.  drug testing should be mandatory every six months.  do you think we need another stimulus package when we already have a 28 trillion dollar deficit now. what we need  is people with common sense that know how to lead. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ray4852 said:

when I first saw this bill. I new it was dead on arrival. The people that wrote this bill should be drug tested and given an IQ test.  drug testing should be mandatory every six months.  do you think we need another stimulus package when we already have a 28 trillion dollar deficit now. what we need  is people with common sense that know how to lead. 

This bill is not dead on arrival because there are enough votes to override a presidential veto. Do we need another stimulus bill? Go and ask all the poor buggers in the restaurant industry like the cooks and the waitresses and restaurant owners. they will probably say that they need it.

The people who wrote this bill are the people we voted into the offices they are holding now. So for that one we only have to blame ourselves. If you did not vote don't complain. If your candidate lost, it is because more people disagreed with him than people who agreed with him and those people are probably not any smarter or dumber than you are.

Whining and complaining does not help. Working together to get out of our current situation does.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rolmops said:

This bill is not dead on arrival because there are enough votes to override a presidential veto. Do we need another stimulus bill? Go and ask all the poor buggers in the restaurant industry like the cooks and the waitresses and restaurant owners. they will probably say that they need it.

The people who wrote this bill are the people we voted into the offices they are holding now. So for that one we only have to blame ourselves. If you did not vote don't complain. If your candidate lost, it is because more people disagreed with him than people who agreed with him and those people are probably not any smarter or dumber than you are.

Whining and complaining does not help. Working together to get out of our current situation does.

President trump tried getting the American people some help 3 months ago. Democrats kicked the bill down the road. you say we must work together. I agree. we tried working together. it has to be the democrat way. look at the federal deficit. 28 trillion. how long can we live with this. once the interest rates go up. buy buy economy and everything in it. I'm thinking about the children born today. what kind of world they will live it. I think its time we stop our foolish spending and start living within our means. if we can't come up with a sensible budget. shut the government down. we don't need it.  I'm glad you brought that up about our intelligent voters putting these people in power. if any of them had any brains we wouldn't have them coming up with these foolish spending bills. I think its time we cut the crap out of the government. cut out all the pork and get rid of all the deadbeats.  lets open up the country now. get the government out of the private sector and let the people have full control of themselves. we don't need another spending bill. we need people that know how to lead. for your information president Trump will be re elected next year. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 9:36 AM, Ray4852 said:

The drug testing must be random to have any chance of working!

John