Copper and leadcore of inline boards

Last season I ran the mag offshore boards for the first time.  On one side I ran a 300 copper and the other a 10 color.  This year, I plan to run 2 per side.  Would you run the cores on the outside and copper inside, or run copper on one side and core on the other?

We run 3 or 4 boards to a side for walleye, but with shorter leads.

1 hour ago, Beagler said:

Last season I ran the mag offshore boards for the first time.  On one side I ran a 300 copper and the other a 10 color.  This year, I plan to run 2 per side.  Would you run the cores on the outside and copper inside, or run copper on one side and core on the other?

We run 3 or 4 boards to a side for walleye, but with shorter leads.

Either way is fine. As long as your deepest is closest to the boat. If it was me I would mix it up though and run lead and copper on both sides. Makes for a better pattern and strike box.

• Like 3

I like to run the junk lines that run higher in the water column on the outside, and the ones that run deeper to the inside. For example this May/June we were running a 2/5/10 on each side. The 2/5 ran fine on Offshore OR12 in-lines. The 10 color ran much better on the OR-37 (mag board). This past September we ran a similar spread, but with 150/200/300 coppers. 

• Like 2

Just a little food for thought in addition to the info mentioned:

Leadcore and copper run quite differently in the water and a 300 copper runs deeper than a 10 color leadcore. It is important to run the leadcore to the outside as it will be higher in that setup if lengths are the same. Leadcores also sway a lot from side to side and coppers do so but less and they undulate up and down more. I have never had two coppers get into each other but have had coppers and leadcores tangle as well as each of them with wire dipsies When trolling speed is relatively fast all of them rise up somewhat and if turns are severe "el problemo" arises. When running multiple boards with these setups a lot of care has to be observed while letting them out (slowly). Wire dipsies can also present problems sometimes unseen such as when one releases without it being detected and it can get into the other stuff for awhile all the time winding things up on the lines. When running the multiples keep big turns to a minimum. and also be aware of how the rod tips look when doing any relatively large increases in speed. The way the boards are acting in the water can also provide clues to how things are running.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1