New to ontario salmon gear set up.

Coming from ohio and set up to troll walleye out of a 20 ft crestliner authority. And this is what I have.

4 mh rods with accudepth 27s spooled with power pro

4 m rods with 17s also with power pro

Assortment of dipsies and spoons

Set of riggers.

I'm wanting to get started and thinking I could sell the 17s to upgrade to accudepth 47s with power pro and at least run 4 dipsies off the medium heavy rods. Could I get by with running 2 of the 27s off the down riggers for a 6 rod spread? There manual so I may or may not end up using them starting out I think 4 rigger rods might be just as effective with less tangles.

2ndly should I stick with just spoons or invest in a few spin doctors and flys and meat rigs. Looks like I should be able to get off a long weekend end of July. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I troll for walleye in East Ohio and Pennsylvania primarily, but travel to Lake O a few times a year.  

To run 6 rods,my money would be on 2 riggers (1 with a flasher fly or flasher meat and 1 with a spoon possibly with a fixed slider on the spoon). 2 braid divers outside and 2 wire divers inside (wire divers do well for us in the central basin for walleye mid summer too)

I run 20lb leaders for spoons and 30 for flashers.  Invest in decent fluoro for this.

Since I'm spending your money, I would get 3 or 4 flashers and a couple each flies and meat rigs.  I do haven my best success on spoons, but feel that a flasher or 2 in the spread brings them in.

I do best on Moonshine spoons in Carbon 14 and Green Jeans, Black NKs, Dreamweavers in NBK and occasionally Stingers and Dreamweaver super slims in various colors.

Greens, whites and silvers or some combinations of them do well for me in flashers, flies and meat rigs.

While I enjoy shopping online, for just a few items, I'll stop at a good tackle shop, such as Boat Doctors in Olcott and Narby's or Captain's cove at the Oak.  These places will also carry fillets for your meat rigs, ice and other incidentials and generally provide solid advice.

Good luck on your trip.

Brian

• Like 1

In my opinion, fishing end of July generally means warm water and fishing deep offshore.

2 riggers, 2 wire divers, 2 weighted lines run off large or inline planers is a simple easy to run pattern for first timers to the lake who have trolling experience elsewhere.

One rod per rigger.
One each 300’ and 400’ weighted steel or copper; you’ll need big reels for these.

Keep in mind the lake can, and does, flip at that time of year so it wouldn’t hurt to pack some extra gear to run shallower if it does flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Based on experience from Lake Ontario and Lake Erie is that Ontario calls for larger reels with better drags.  You’ll be be trolling faster and likely deeper on Ontario so more line capacity with good drags is important.  I prefer Sealine’s for the drag over Accudepth’s.  Likely can make 27’s work on shallow riggers, but 47’s for riggers and 57’s for board lines.  Keeping drags loosened is also important.  Hope you can make a trip to Ontario- getting some kings ripping line can be addictive.

Thanks for the help and pointers. I'm more comfortable running dipsies over boards. I think my plans are going to be keep the rods I have with 27s for 2 riggers and 2 dipsy rods then get a pair of bugger reels with wire for a mag size dipsy for a 6 rod spread? This will only require 2 new set ups and we can run the wire on erie for late season walleye

Thanks for the help and pointers. I'm more comfortable running dipsies over boards. I think my plans are going to be keep the rods I have with 27s for 2 riggers and 2 dipsy rods then get a pair of bugger reels with wire for a mag size dipsy for a 6 rod spread? This will only require 2 new set ups and we can run the wire on erie for late season walleye  Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk 

I recommend you rethink your plan for using two 27s for Lake Ontario dipsy rods. You really need 47s for salmon diver rods for adequate capacity. 

Gotcha thanks. I guess I could always sell my 17s and upgrade to 47s to recoup some money and double them as walleye rods..

Would 4 braid dipsy setups be acceptable with 2 rigger rod or is wire that much better for a few trips a year. I was thinkin a mag dipsy on braid I could maybe get down deeper on the inside rod with a #1 dipsy on the outside above it

• Like 1

Gotcha thanks. I guess I could always sell my 17s and upgrade to 47s to recoup some money and double them as walleye rods..

Would 4 braid dipsy setups be acceptable with 2 rigger rod or is wire that much better for a few trips a year. I was thinkin a mag dipsy on braid I could maybe get down deeper on the inside rod with a #1 dipsy on the outside above it

Braid is usable for divers when there are no spiny fleas in the water, but attempting to run braid divers with fleas is a nightmare. That’s the main reason why wire is the best choice if you are only setting up one set of rods, wire can do it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Might want to just keep the walleye setups for just that and use for browns in the Spring as well.

You have received some real good advice here. Wire divers are the way to go in general with twilli tips or roller rods. Daiwa 47's and 57's do a respectable job for reels An often overlooked reel is the Okuma Magda Pro MA 45 DX (older ones with metal frame as they are inexpensive, pretty durable, brass gears, and have an 18 lb drag and will hold the 1,000 ft of wire just fine. Not sure about the newest model as they are total composites. Just have to be careful not to let the line counters bang around in the boat as they are a little sensitive. If you have money to spare do it right and buy a couple Daiwa Saltists. Although relatively expensive they have about the smoothest strongest drags you'll find. The Dreamweaver Deep Divers (124 mm also listed as #5's sometimes) are the ones I prefer for all around use; especially in the summer to get deep.

Edited by Sk8man

Lot of detail good advice posted ! With the long winter months read " Keating on Kings " by Captain Dan Keatiing plus other additions ! Less can be more ! Running a lot of tackle for an apparent newbie can end up as a tangle nightmare ! I will leave it at that for now ! Merry Christmas to all that it believe in my God !

The end of July usually means deepwater fishing. With that being said I run one of two setups when its just me and one other guy:

2 riggers and 4 divers(weather/current permitting)

Or 2 riggers 2 divers and 1 chute copper.

And i run a 25' sportcraft, I could run a more elaborate setup, but these just work. Dont overlook the stealth factor 4 riggers in the water is a big presence ESPECIALLY on a narrow beam.

Long lines like copper are a must have in my opinion. So are flies and meat rigs. I'd wait until you're up there and buy what's hot. But It never hurts to have the classics, stud fly, hammer fly, crush glow spinny.

I started with Penn Warfares on riggers and have since upgraded to Tekotas. Most guys running 20-30lb test and no fancy reel is needed with such strong line. I like light line with spoons, especially on those high sun crystal clear days, 12 and 15lb so that's where the better reels, and drags like a tekota comes in. I wouldnt be scared to run the 27s but the 17s are bit small.

I also like a good reel with diver though considering the lack of stretch and therefore a lack of forgiveness.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

May on the Bar is GREAT fishing. I fish out of Oz but we trailer out there early season because it's worth it in Early season. Some of the best fishing you'll see on that lake.

Woukd you guys recommend mayniff niagra bar vs July deep water? Seems like alot of good bites happen around there in may and I'm pretty flexible on getting there and can prolly make both trips

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Crapshoot is right on. The Niagara Bar in May is the best fishing on the lake. You will have guys that come from all over the lake and stay for the whole month. I run a smaller boat and there are days that we have put 15-20 fish into the boat. As far as your setup goes on the bar I would advise running 2 riggers and to divers. Being new any long liner could end up in a mess. There times that it's like full combat fishing. You could be going east on the bar and have boats on either side of you going the other way. The bigger fish that show up later in the year a great but the spring fish are an absolute blast. Not to mention they all seem to be full of piss and vinegar. Wherever you decide to fish good luck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks guys I think in definitely gonna try to make it in the spring for a long weekend. I'm pretty much set on 2 divers and 2 or 4 dipsys with 2 being wire of needed although from what I have been seeing it seems like your fishing shallower depths early in the season and typical dipsys and braid will get me down that far

May on the  west end can be great fishing . The king  program set up is pretty much the same as summer . With a little more emphasis on spoons . And the kings can be down as far  as 100 ft. Avg 25 to 70 ft . 

Mid July to mid August Oak ,Bald Eagle ,Sandy area is the best area/ time to fish big  kings . Flashers are a big part of my program.then . Kings can be as deep as 140 down . Avg 50 to 90 ft