Wire line for rookie

Burger

So I tried to find previous posts about this fairly simple question but couldn’t.

I spoiled up 2 okuma convector 30’s with 1000’ of 30lb wire off dacron backing....there was a few SMALL kinks while doing so that are now buried throughout the spool (maybe 5?)

Do this mean that I totally ruined my wire spools? Do i need to strip it, buy new spools, and make sure there is ZERO kinks?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The short answer is yes you should start over. It would be wise to examine the wire on there though to determine if the spots are true kinks in the wire. Unless you have a good quality line winder putting the wire on it is usually a 2 person job to do right with constant pressure maintained throughout the process. Thankfully my wife has got it down real good now after many years:lol: as far as exerting just enough pressure on the sides of the spool as it is reeled on. I start the process with the line guide of the reel centered on the spool. After it is on there and prior to first use I try to put a sinker or dipsy on it and let out a great amount of the wire and reel it back on with that degree of tension beffore actually using it.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

80 lb braid or bigger, no fleas no issues.

Run Slide Divers for your dipsy’s.

Don’t understand the whole you can’t run braid stuff. My guess is either they never ran it or they ran small diameter which obviously will collect fleas.

I’ve run 70 and above braid on my dipsys for over 20 years. Maybe you get ten feet deeper with wire? I really don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Don’t understand the whole you can’t run braid stuff. My guess is either they never ran it or they ran small diameter which obviously will collect fleas.
I’ve run 70 and above braid on my dipsys for over 20 years. Maybe you get ten feet deeper with wire? I really don’t get it.

I would much prefer to run braid, so you’re saying you’ve never had issues with fleas? If not, i will totally switch

Thanks

The short answer is yes you should start over. It would be wise to examine the wire on there though to determine if the spots are true kinks in the wire. Unless you have a good quality line winder putting the wire on it is usually a 2 person job to do right with constant pressure maintained throughout the process. Thankfully my wife has got it down real good now after many years:lol: as far as exerting just enough pressure on the sides of the spool as it is reeled on. I start the process with the line guide of the reel centered on the spool. After it is on there and prior to first use I try to put a sinker or dipsy on it and let out a great amount of the wire and reel it back on with that degree of tension beffore actually using it.

dammit. i figured. thanks for reply...yeah like I said this is the first time I’ve ever done this...$100 down the drain!!

Lost 3 divers/ flashers etc the last 2 seasons with wire due to kinks . Wire is very unforgiving . Took it off and threw it out .

Which is why I went back to 65# braid which I catch just as many on with zero issues.  .  

ok, you’re the second guy who’s told me no issues with braid...i’m switching screw it...really don’t like this wire !!

The other guys have a point too. Braid is somewhat easier to work with and maybe with the larger diameter braid  most of the fleas won't be able to hook on but fleas can be a problem on wire too if they are concentrated too thickly .....even downrigger wire as thick as it is.Another factor is that with braid you don't need a modified rod tip (twilli or roller). We all have a our preferences and the bottom line is: If it works for you its all good :smile: If you have more than one rod try using one of each and see how you think they stack up against each other.

Edited by Sk8man

80 or 100. They fall off with a flick of the wrist or when they hit the first eye (not twili) on the rod. I’ve never once had to strip fleas the way we do on 30lb mono.

Honestly , I liked the wire OK . But it has no forgiveness and when it breaks , it's 25 to 50$ lost . Side by side with the braid , they both caught fish ,   there was no difference in hits some days the braid caught more. 

Start with the braid and get a feel for it then add a,wire later IMO 

The other guys have a point too. Braid is somewhat easier to work with and maybe with the larger diameter braid  most of the fleas won't be able to hook on but fleas can be a problem on wire too if they are concentrated too thickly .....even downrigger wire as thick as it is.Another factor is that with braid you don't need a modified rod tip (twilli or roller). We all have a our preferences and the bottom line is: If it works for you its all good :smile: If you have more than one rod try using one of each and see how you think they stack up against each other.

Do you know any tackle shops that sell and can spool wire for me?

I honestly don't unless you buy a setup with it already on it and I don't know where you live:smile: As I said it is much easier with two people. A simple way is one person holds  the spool of wire with a pencil or screwdriver through the hole in the wire spool and placing constant pressure against the sides but allowing the spool to revolve. Use a 50 ft or so strand of 40 or 50 dacron or mono on the empty reel spool and fasten the wire to it  with a #8 Spro swivel crimped onto the wire and the other end  tied at the swivel.. You can use just the reel mounted to the bottom half of the rod to make things easier to reel. Make sure when you start to put the wire on after the mono that the line guide is in the middle of the spool of the reel so it starts putting the wire on straight. Work slowly with even pressure on the wire the entire time and when it gets to the end of the wire spool be careful to keep maximum tension on the wire so it doesn't unravel on the reel spool. I use a crimp connection very carefully applied to the business end of the wire with a heavy duty solid ring ball bearing swivel. I then use clear hot glue on the crimp connection to seal it in to keep the crimp from moving back and forth to avoid any chance of failure at that point. By using clear hot glue I can see inside to monitor the connection. I have never had a failure at that point. Some folks use electrical tape to fasten the wire directly to the reel spool.

Edited by Sk8man

2 hours ago, whaler1 said:

What brand of braid? I get fleas on my musky setup with 80lb Spider Wire

I like original Power Pro . 

Like Whaler said , I don't get it either . 

The fact is , you are going to get fleas . 

The wire cuts them better . I check my dipsey more often when fleas are real bad. But there are issues with wire which makes it more difficult to handle and manage . Braid is pretty much  indestructible. So you have to weigh that out and make a decision. Some guys swear by wire . I swear at it . 

My, mind is made up . I lost enough stuff. 

17 hours ago, Burger said:

ok, you’re the second guy who’s told me no issues with braid...i’m switching screw it...really don’t like this wire !!

15 hours ago, Burger said:

Do you know any tackle shops that sell and can spool wire for me?

Don't get discouraged. Yes a hundred bucks is an expensive lesson and yes there is a learning curve involved with every presentation but wire divers are a deadly presentation. Spooling and running wire is not difficult you just have to know how to do it. Post up your questions here before you attempt something new and in most cases you will receive sound advice that will shorten your learning curve and in some cases save you some money. I run mono divers as well as braid when the conditions dictate and I won't leave the dock without my wires in the boat. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Edited by spoonfed-1

An easy way to spool wire on a reel if you don’t have a helper is to go to a school or farm field. 1000” is a LONG distance so make sure it is a big field. Walk off the entire spool of wire onto the ground. Attach a swivel to one end and clip on a fence or car bumper (if farm field). Attach other end to reel and rod. Tighten drag on reel. Put a good amount of tension on the loaded rod and reel the wire onto reel while slow walking back to the swivel end. 

The blow back effect of larger diameter line whether copper, steel, Braid, Mono, or flouro carbon results in a lot of time lost setting and retreiving your fish and line trying to achieve deeper depths. Do you really catch more fish with all the super long sets especially when tangles occur?

80 or 100. They fall off with a flick of the wrist or when they hit the first eye (not twili) on the rod. I’ve never once had to strip fleas the way we do on 30lb mono.

Can I run the braid on my rods that already have twili tips on them? Is there any problem with the braid and twili? dont really want to buy 2 more rods