New [to me] wire line knot

I have been running wire line many years,I started out with 7strand mason 30lb and I still run it.On my boat the dipseys are the first thing out as my biggest fish seem to come off the dipseys,I usually run a 10ft piece of brad between the end of the wire and the dipsey.My regular wire line knot is a half hitch then a square knot,never had it fail.When you connect the wire to the brad the swivels are so small it hard to do the half hitch square knot. Last spring I decided to try some different wire knots. This is a figure 8 knot. Very easy to tie. I clamped one end in a vise and pulled all I could and I did not break it, Ran it all last year and never had it fail.I usually run 4 dipseys.I fish the fingerlakes so Im not catching 30lb salmon. Its simple but it works..

8 knot.jpeg

Good idea Stan and especially for sharing it:smile:. There are countless resources on the Internet regarding knot typing, including books, laminated cards, Youtube videos etc.; many of which are geared to the fisherman,  Some sites use the diagrams to tout their products as well as to inform (e.g.)  https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/fishing/five-knots-every-fisherman-should-know. Most of us develop our own personal preferences based on our own experiences and habits and forego seeking out new ideas about knots or different ways of doing things.and seldom seek out new ideas or novel ways of doing things, and I am as guilty as anyone in this regard. I still cling to my old standby habits for wire - both on wire dipsies and Seth Green rigs and that is the (careful) use of metal crimps. I also stick with wire over braid for my Seth Green rigs because I have had a couple bad experiences using braid with them despite my fellow fishing buddies thinking I'm either too stubborn or else too crazy to switch:lol:. Stan's example here provides us with a look at someone ( a very successful fisherman) trying something different after years of success with something that he already knows works and it underscores and  should remind us of the fact that we all need to be jogged out of our comfort zone sometimes to experiment with different solutions to some of the things we may take for granted (especially us dinosaurs:lol:).

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Fishstix,

I might of known that there would be some a h's on this sight. I've have made figure 8 knots longer than most of the members have been alive. On a hay fork trip or a plow, or a cultivator trip you would take the rope strait through the eye and tie the figure eight on the back side of the eye and when tight bring it up to the eye .It would make a bigger knot than a over hand knot and wouldn't pull through the eye. I would still like to know were the eye would be in fishing.  Thank You

I hope you didn't interpret my response as messing with you. You said eye of the swivel and there are many types of swivels so I was just presenting the type I thought you meant.:smile: I certainly wasn't trying to be a smartazz

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Wire is a different beast than other lines simple knots work well the torpedo divers website had some videos on wire knots one of them is a single overhand knot crazy as that is I tried it and could not break it so I have used it the last two years as I age I'm starting to have some nerve issues with my elbows and hands so a simple knot is a godsend

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app