Sad day

On Friday Jan 8th Sandy Creek in Hamlin lost a great captain,husband, father & brother and friend.Capt Mike Bonaffine lost a courageous battle with covid-19.Any one in our fishing community will understand what a tremendous loss this is. Mike placed a great value on friendship.We have fished with the same crew for 25 plus years because of him.I could not have asked for a better older brother or mentor for the great outdoors.If the song"Mr Breeze" by Lynard Skynyrd comes on the radio,smile cause Capt Mike is in heaven fishing his butt off.Tight lines forever big brother,rest in piece.

IMG_20200705_131726311.jpg

• Like 6

Mike an I met taking our captains course together an we studied an learned together as teammates. Since that time I’ve been blessed to be part of his family an crew. He is The only person I felt was my father, loved like a brother an was my best friend.

As our profession of sportsmen we develop a bond that is different from any others, as we depend on each other for safety, good times an memories, we shared a lot cheers n tears over the years together.

Rip my fellow captain, this loss truly hurts.

0917171049a95Burst01_Original.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Sandy Creek will never be the same. Mike was a great man! I will miss shooting the **** with him and hearing his loud Hello as we passed by his boat. RIP Mike. Chuck, I am so sorry for your loss. If you need anything, your sandy brothers are here for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

I didn’t have the pleasure of knowing Mike for very long. He moved next door to me about 5 yrs ago and we connected immediately. Fishing conversations in his driveway were always an eye opener comparing the Sandy bite with what was happening out of I-Bay. 

We never got to fish together as I said we would, and I’m going to regret that for a long time. 

Lynyrd Skynrd’s “Call me the Breeze” is going to be the first song played this spring

My Prayers to his family, and to those who knew him, when you read the stories, you quickly become aware of how friendly, down to earth, loving, and down right good buddy to everyone that knew him. Very sorry folks.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

So sad to hear this. Way back in the day my father, Mike and a bunch of other guys started a fishing club. I cut my teeth fishing Ginna at night in the middle of the winter, thanksgiving trips to the Genny, and ESLO/LOC week long trips down at the Oak and Niagara. Last time I saw him was at my Dads funeral. Another LO pioneer gone. Rip Capt Mike. 

Chuck,

I am so sorry to hear about Mike.  Brian is right when he says Sandy Creek will never be the same.  Anytime I ever saw Mike whether it be the Sandy docks, Niagara Show or a weigh in, he always had a smile on his face.  He will be greatly missed. My wife and I had been praying every night for him when we found out about him having Covid.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this sad time. 

• Like 1