Seneca Seneca report 1/12/21

My dad just gave me the fishing report for today pulling cowbells in 80-100ft, he caught 2 lakers The real time consumer was netting eels stuck to the side of the boat, heading in he seen a decent laker on surface trying to shake a eel off but laker was already about dead.. just 3 hours of fishing.

F0466EBB-EDD6-4309-B558-F5CCBC3E52D5.jpeg

40A5E8BE-1278-417E-B4CF-D0CD42E42DA0.jpeg

Edited by Roys Boys
  • Sad 1

I know. Mother nature can help out with some things but these damned things don't have any predators so the options are pretty limited for getting things back in balance. At least Larry did his part in helping out:smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frogger said:

That’s crazy! How’s the water level to the ramp Steve?

Here’s Brads email in case.

[email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Our ramp is unusable right now, shallow water along with the gravel getting pushed it wouldn’t be worth it. Probably March will get dredged 

3 hours ago, Sk8man said:

I know. Mother nature can help out with some things but these damned things don't have any predators so the options are pretty limited for getting things back in balance. 

Really?  Birds, fish won't/can't eat them? How long do they live?

Hop

As juveniles and adults they usually are in the deep waters avoiding detection waiting for some hapless fish to stroll by so they can hitch a ride so the birds generally aren't a factor for the ones doing the damage:smile: The softer skinned or scaled fish such as salmon and trout are more likely to be victims than say carp or suckers that have dense scales and ply the shallower waters

• Like 1

The treatment we have now is not working. some parts of this world. people pay big money to get their hands on this crap for food. this small pile of lampreys is nothing. just think what the lake look like with all of them in it. I think the government has done a better job with the help from Canada to control them in Lake Ontario.  we have to do something different here. I heard they have a newer and better chemical to treat lampreys. the cost is twice as much. this state is broke. we have to get the money from other independent sources to treat this problem. man created this problem back around 1830 when the canal went through. man should be able to solve this problem. it takes brains and people that want to work together. most of us here will never see the good old days of Seneca lake trout fishing again. I still remember what the lamprey did to this lake 50 yrs ago. now we have to rebuild it again. with our big fat state government that can't add two numbers together. where will the money come from. it time we make the DEC an independent department from all state programs.  I'm willing to pay 50 dollars a year for a fishing license. we could get independent money from other donors to help pay for sportsman programs in our state that want to have good hunting and fishing. it could be done real easy if we wanted to do it.   

• Like 1

To bad NYS doesn't allow trapping and selling the eels. The Asians would jump all over that.  The adult eels that do all the harm would have a bounty on their head.:smile:   Also it would replace smelt fishing in the finger lakes

• Like 1

I know our weather the past 5 yrs has been pretty bad during the spring with heavy rain. high stream flow washes out the chemical. we have to do something different. who knows what kind of weather we will get this spring. with a mild winter now. I think we are in for another damp cold spring again. if we don't treat. more lampreys will enter the lake. that why I'm trying to preached to everyone here we have to do something different. it means more money. different ideas. 

I'm wondering if something could be done to make their spawning areas unsuitable/less effective for propagation or somehow sterilizing them without adverse effects on other species The larval stage stay in the streams for a  long time providing an opportunity of sorts. In any event even after treatment it will take some time to see the results.even with proper treatment conditions.

Edited by Sk8man

I was wondering about the swimmer thing myself...why wouldnt they?

Update: I guess they have been known to grab onto the occasional swimmer but are easily yanked 

off. They do most of their "damage" when attached for long periods. I am guessing having 3 or 4 

trying to latch onto you while swimming would be pretty damn unpleasant though!

Note to self...No swimming in Seneca lake this coming season.

Edited by Bad_Influence
  • Like 1

The eel situation sucks.

Let's have a little throwback to hownbad they were on Cayuga a short few years back. Balls, boats, paddles, divers all having eels on them.

2018 was a successful treatment i believe, however, this spring. 2021, is the one that will make the difference as long as the stars align to treat the lake. The unfortunate 9 years with the lack and inability to treat puts us where we are. I was really hoping for the state of the lake meeting this past fall after the lake wide study.

Maybe we can ask for a zoom meeting for the lake?

I'll reach out to DEC.

I keep my hopes. Also, I believe Seneca Lake Pure Waters Assn. would help if there is a way?

Food for thought anyways.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2