Seneca Seneca report 1/12/21

4 hours ago, Bad_Influence said:

I was wondering about the swimmer thing myself...why wouldnt they?

Update: I guess they have been known to grab onto the occasional swimmer but are easily yanked 

off. They do most of their "damage" when attached for long periods. I am guessing having 3 or 4 

trying to latch onto you while swimming would be pretty damn unpleasant though!

Note to self...No swimming in Seneca lake this coming season.

I’m sure they would, I picked them off fish and they turned and latched on to me. No ones skiing or doing water sports in the temps their in

I did email Brad yesterday. He said he was already in talks with US fish and wildlife today so he’s going to show them. A quick summary of what he emailed back.“Good news is we have treatment scheduled for this coming year in Catharines, Keuka Outlet, and the canal from Montour Falls to the lake.“..”Additionally we are trying to boost the lake trout population again by recently increasing stocking numbers to pre-2012 levels”. 

Nick is right about Cayuga being inundated with lampreys in the past and Seneca had a similar lamprey problem in the 70's and after treatment things improved greatly. All is not lost. Things are out of balance for sure and the lamprey situation plays a large part in it, but the lake is capable of rebounding and with effective treatment will in terms of the lamprey part of it. "Long live Seneca Lake":smile: Thanks Steve for making the contact with Brad.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Nick is right about Cayuga being inundated with lampreys in the past and Seneca had a similar lamprey problem in the 70's and after treatment things improved greatly. All is not lost. Things are out of balance for sure and the lamprey situation plays a large part in it, but the lake is capable of rebounding and with effective treatment will in terms of the lamprey part of it. "Long live Seneca Lake":smile: Thanks Steve for making the contact with Brad.

Everything seems on a good path as you said Les, also Brad (DEC) is all over it as well with his groups plans. Now all we need is Mother Nature to give us a little breath of fresh air with little to no rain this June.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So if the weather hasn't prevented them from controlling the lamprey on Cayuga, why has the weather been  preventing them from controlling them on Seneca? Cayuga was a real mess not that long ago, now they are under control.

30 minutes ago, spoonfed-1 said:

So if the weather hasn't prevented them from controlling the lamprey on Cayuga, why has the weather been  preventing them from controlling them on Seneca? Cayuga was a real mess not that long ago, now they are under control.

One successful treatment will wipe out five years of larvae. That is why Cayuga is cleaned up for now. They'll be back in full force unless the tribs are treated again before they get out of control. 

It’s a timing issue as you have other species that can be affected with the treatment TFM and you need to time to do it when the larvae cycle is at peak mass. Plus like what was said concentrations of the chemicals have to be spot on or if they become diluted it’s not effective. It’s been awhile for me so I’m not up to date with new techniques but I read somewhere they use pheromones to draw in adults and eliminate a good portion of that cycle as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, stinger said:

One successful treatment will wipe out five years of larvae. That is why Cayuga is cleaned up for now. They'll be back in full force unless the tribs are treated again before they get out of control. 

So the two lakes are not both being treated during the same year during the same time frame?

I don't know what DEC's plans or schedules are. What cleaned up Cayuga was a successful treatment. At that time Cayuga was out of control and Seneca wasn't experiencing any major lamprey issues. The window to treat is

the same for both lakes but that doesn't mean that both are scheduled.  

Cayuga had a treatment in 2020.  I attached screen shots of the DEC fishing newsletter.  Highly recommend getting on the email list as very informative.  Its easy to be dissapointed when one body of water is struggling but looking at how many areas need to be covered I for one feel the fisheries divisions works hard to provide us some quality fishing opportunities throughout the state.  Lets all hope Seneca gets some extra TLC in 2021

Screenshot_20210114-141453.png

Screenshot_20210114-141506.png

Screenshot_20210114-141518.png

• Like 2

Cayuga is probably a good example of what happens when the treatment regimen is correct. For some years before the treatment the environmentalists and their supporters (largely from the Ithaca area) were adamantly opposed to it and I believe went to court over it so it  was delayed for some time. It was finally carried out (and I believe successfuly). The treatment process is a complex one all the way around including scheduling of the specialized certified folks carrying it out, the stream water flow and wind conditions,. the exact concentrations being able to be maintained on the specific but multiple areas present on the target date and a host of other factors. It isn't just some guys getting together to do it on some targeted day. Everything subject to change depending on the existing conditions.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Ditto.  Catherine's in a couple of places and the Keuka Outlet I believe.Most years there isn't enough water flow to the lake from the minor tribs and I'm not sure whether any are very suitable for spawning although the trout do go up some of them.I have always wondered about Kashong and Wilson's on the west side though. I think there needs to be quite a bit of sediment or muck present for the ammocoetes to survive long term.

Edited by Sk8man