Why dipseys?

I’ve spent 2020 getting back into trolling the finger lakes with my wife. Had mostly fun, caught some lakers but never really slammed anything. Trolling with downrigger s on Seneca -0, keuka 12, Cayuga 1. All lakers off of downriggers with spoons.  I’m going to buy a fishhawk this winter which I think will help a bit and likely launch at Deans. My question is why are dipseys different than downriggers?  Is it the fact that the lure is way behind the boat so less noise above or something else?  I’m also thinking of going 80# braid vs wire based on other comments, any strong reason not to? Any other advice to offer?  Thanks

Dipseys give you a totally different presentation than downriggers ,yes it out to the side and back but it also surges and creates turbulence and noise the wire and braid do make  and vibration. A diver puts a lot of action on your lures you don't get with riggers. 

I run wire but I'm setting up a braid set up this year. Fleas come in and I would go wire but I've heard people say its not that big of an issue.

Edited by Charlie P

Dipsy divers are one effective element of the trolling toolbox when run correctly. From your main post it looks as though you are fishing the Finger Lakes rather than Lake O in particular. Dipsies allow you to get down deep with your presentations and create a bit of a commotion down there with their erratic movement which is imparted to the lure following them (e.g.fly or spoon) and you can get them a good distance from the boat, and they can be adjusted to the changing water conditions (e.g. location of the thermocline in summer) Downriggers may be more accurately adjusted but the downrigger weight itself or the particular one used can also be a question mark (e.g. does it perhaps attract or scare away fish?) and with the large diameter wire on them and resultant "singing" do they attract or deter fish?. I don't think anyone actually knows the answer. They are very different presentations and one may excel over the other on a given day or time so they both have their place in the toolbox. Trolling for trout and landlocks on the Finger Lakes shares a lot of similarity ofequipment and techniques with Lake Ontario but there are some differences as well. The larger paddles often used with meat rigs may be less effective on the Fingers, the super sized magnum spoons generally aren't as readily effective while the smaller paddles and small to medium sized spoons seem to take more hits. You mention using 80 lb braid with divers. You really don't need anything that heavy with them on the Fingers (or Lake O for that matter) as it will create more "blow back" and make it more difficult to place your presentation where you want it and if the waterfleas are really thick it doesn't present any advantage in keeping them off.  40-50 lb (max) works fine and cuts through the water better than the larger diameter stuff. In the way of other advice or suggestions: consider running Seth Green rigs on the Fingers in the late Spring to late Fall You can cover the entire thermocline effectively. If fishing lakers run cowbells with Gambler rigs, grease traps, Spin-N-Glows or peanuts behind them from wire dipsy rigs (with or without the dipsy diver) or from downriggers short behind the weight and close to bottom

Edited by Sk8man

WHY DIPSEYS? 

#1. Reason: When a big fish smacks a diver rod its just plain awesome! :smile:

You have a lot of versatility in running divers. Small divers for shallow fish, larger divers for deep fish etc.

There are days when divers just out fish everything else, but the same can be said for riggers, coppers & cores.

Im not sure I would give up my riggers before my divers as other have said but if you are only fishing riggers you should definatley add divers.

10 minutes ago, Bad_Influence said:

I am switching one setup to 80# braid this season only because several comments have posted that it picks up way fewer fleas... gonna run it and find out. I hate stripping fleas, dont we all.

Dude you gotta change your boat name:rofl: Just Kidding.

Edited by Rookie Fisherman

5 hours ago, Rookie Fisherman said:

Dude you gotta change your boat name:rofl: Just Kidding.

My Buddies boat was named Bad Influence... we had a ton of great times on that rig with too many stories to remember. I purchased a new boat last year and the week I had it delivered he passed from a stroke. Had to name her "Bad Influence II" in his memory. That dude would fish in February whiteouts...I have never seen a boat named Bad Influence, let alone Bad Influence II !!! Thats crazy...

Yessir Thanks! Thats a beauty of a vessel you got there captain! I see you are listing as Sterling and Oswego. I built a home just outside of Fair Haven and lived there 25 years. The drive to East Syracuse and back got to me and sold to move closer to my work. That two sometimes three hour trip through Lake effect and then having to plow my 600' driveway after a 10 hour workday just wore me down... Proud to share the name with you, be well.

Lot of good information on topic as usual ! At times cannon balls clearly spook fish ! One of the reasons for running a fixed stacker [ obviously not possible on a Dipsy ! 

Bottom line [ sic] for me is to get good on what you started with then branch out ! Starting out with a bunch of tackle hopping to " get somethin " can end up tangles and frustration IMO !