Lake O virgin.

Hi guys happy to have found this site. I’m looking to plan a trip to Lake Ontario in the  Oswego area. I’ll be bringing a 21’ mako CC. Looking for advice for the best methods and tackle to catch trophy browns in the spring. I’ve read a bit and seems end of May early June is a favorite, is this accurate? 

thank you, 

Rob

Can't speak to the Oswego area but the techniques are the same. Sticks and light spoons work best for Browns.Troll flatlines at the minimum and use big boards or inlines to increase your coverage. Also no need to wait till May/June. It can be productive as early as April depending on location and weather.

• Thanks 1

Really appreciate the feedback so far. I’ve received some private messages as well with helpful information. Thank you. 

So timing and life will only allow me

to be there at some time between end of May and June. I have been told mix reviews on if that will be a good time for BT. I have been picking up some gear to hopefully be successful. So far I’ve grabbed. 

2- Luhr Jensen size 0 dipsys, with two 10’ okuma white diamond dipsy rods paired with okuma convector reels. 

2- manual cannon uni troll downriggers with two okuma classic GLT 7,6’ rods with convectors. 

2 - offshore OR12 inline planer boards. No setup yet to pair with these.

What main line size and type should I use for each setup? Also what leader size and length should I use for each? 

what size rigger  weight would be best for each rigger ? 

besides Michigan stinger spoons what lures should I look to grab? 

really appreciate the help. I’d like to make this trip a few times a year. So I don’t mind the upfront buy in for all the gear. 

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the site. Great guys with a lot of great info here. I’m out of salmon country marina in Mexico. My boat goes in mid-late march. I fish 10-20Fow the first few weeks and usually do great with the browns when I find Stained water usually in front of creeks and streams. As time goes by I keep sliding out deeper. By may/June I’ll be fishing around 60Fow and start getting more kings. 
  When fishing 10-15fow I’ll run 1 rod on each rigger with long lead and just drop the balls down 3-4ft. Then sticks off the boards. I use the same setups all season and just change the leaders. 
all my rigger/ planer rods have magda pro 45’s and main line is 30lb big game with a long 12lb floura leader for browns. As I start getting more kings I beef up the leaders.