Slide divers??

Beauty of Slide Divers is the length of line between the dipsy and the lure can be as long as you want. Total game changer.

When the dipsy releases it slides down to the swivel above the lure.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sorry but not familiar with the finger lakes.

On Ontario I run 100 lb braid. I used to run 80 but when I respooled last year the 80 I found was only in 300 yard spools and I wanted at least 400 per reel. The reason for the heavy test is wanting a similar line diameter to 30lb mono or bigger to keep the mid summer fleas at bay.

The braid goes through the dipsy to a barrel swivel and I use fluorocarbon mono to the lure.

One rod is for Spin Dr fly/meat. That one gets 80lb leader.

Other rod is for spoons which get 20 or 30 lb fluorocarbon leaders.

There is no more blow back with 100 lb braid than 30lb mono.

Mono stretches, braid does not.

When you clear your rods it’s simple with braid. Pain in the ass with mono.

Nothing better than a big king smashing a dipsy. Violent!!

• Like 1

x2 with whaler the slide divers are definitely a more stealthy approach and eliminates the need for hand lining as needed when a fixed diver is used. We run them on braid with a length of rod leader the beauty of the slide is your leader from the diver is completely adjustable to get it away from your presentation good luck

• Like 1

Sounds like a great idea! Can't wait to try these!!! [emoji846] What brand do you guys like best? Thanks!!!

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you’re asking about the brand of braid I don’t think it matters. Color doesn’t matter either. IMO

https://www.tacklehaven.com/slide-diver-adjustable-trolling-diver-choose-your-size-color/

I like the big ones, because you can run long leads no reason to go small in skinny water. Buy some mag rings as well.

Caught a bunch of fish in 40 feet of water. 50 feet out with 100 foot leads will put you about 20 down.

Slide Divers are made by U Charters and you are better off looking at stores specializing in Great Lakes trolling gear.  As others have said Size 1 is most commonly used.  They offer a Light Bite version with a rear trigger mechanism that releases even with a small fish.  The Light Bite works well on Lake Erie with less aggressive walleye and trash fish.  For Lake Ontario the standard version is all you need.  I run both braid and wire with a section of mono for the diver to slide on.  I would suggest using braid to start as a bit of a learning curve to deploying the SD vs a regular dipsey.  Once you get the hang of it, it is very versatile.

Mr 580 I'm glad you mentioned the lite bite. I'll be fishing Owasco lake exclusively. I was going to order two No1s and noticed the lite bite and just came on to ask about them. Owasco has a lot of smaller fish with a occasional whopper.will the lite bite set the hook on larger fish? Thanks!!!

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On my braid slide divers I use a double uniknot to attach a 50 ft section of 30 to 40lb mono for the diver to slide on.  I also use a leader of about 3 ft leader to lure so the diver doesn’t slide all the way to the fish.  On my wire slide divers I tie a small piece of 50lb braid to the wire then use the double uniknot to attach the mono same as braid setup.  For the mono I’ve used Berkeley Big Game with good results.  I’m currently using 40lb Maxima mono leader material that lasts longer between changes.  As far as light bites, I think for Finger Lakes that standard version will be OK.  I use the light bites on Lake Erie because they release with small walleye and small trash fish.  I also run rings on my slide divers as I like my diver rods to load up-makes release better to me.

The light bite uses a second rear trigger which requires adjustment like the front trigger.  You also have the two trigger arms to set when deploying.  If you are using a regular LJ dipsey now and don’t have problems dragging small fish around, I would say stick with the regular slide diver with front release.  Where the light bites work well is Lake Erie with less aggressive and small walleyes along with junk fish.  Most trout will pop a regular diver adjusted correctly.

LT Fisherman- I'll pass along a couple of tips for SD Light Bites that I use.   1. I put a bead on my line to cushion/protect the knot to my swivel when the diver slides down.  2. On the Light Bites I take a small piece of the clear plastic tubing supplied with the SD and put it over the loop of the back trigger so your line doesn't fall out of the trigger when deploying.  3. I'm an old LJ dipsey guy and used to their number system - so I mark my SD scale which is higher with the LJ numbers.  Couple pics attached.  Hope you enjoy and have success with your slide divers!   

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

• Like 1

Mr 580, that little piece of tubing on the lite bite trigger is ingenious! Thank you. I will copy your technique and claim it as my own.

I noticed you have your weight set like mine-right to the edge of the weight. Do you find setting it to “6” doesnt really do anything? Is there a reason why you don’t go out to “6”?

I run mine to the edge of the weight too. (A “4” setting).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three Dogs Down, I can’t claim the tubing trick.  I picked it up from a “Pro” tip from their website when light bites first came out.  I had already dealt with my line fall out of trigger so I knew it was a “winner”.  As far as using the #6 setting- the rod I used for pics is an outside braid diver I use on Lake Erie which would have leadcore off boards outside of it then a second diver inside of it most of the time. Other than early spring I would rarely use a 6 setting as I have board lines out and I want my divers down.

Thx. I haven’t noticed any difference in planing out wide from the edge of the weight (4) to a 6. So I just keep mine on 4.

I use braid dipsies low and braid slide divers high. Seems to work OK. I will still get tangled on sharp turns.

I am switching to wire low dipsies now. Hopefully that will give me a little more separation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk