Slide divers??

Thanks again mr 580! Great information!! I can't wait to get on the water! I ordered the clear divers as well....

LT Fisherman- I'll pass along a couple of tips for SD Light Bites that I use.   1. I put a bead on my line to cushion/protect the knot to my swivel when the diver slides down.  2. On the Light Bites I take a small piece of the clear plastic tubing supplied with the SD and put it over the loop of the back trigger so your line doesn't fall out of the trigger when deploying.  3. I'm an old LJ dipsey guy and used to their number system - so I mark my SD scale which is higher with the LJ numbers.  Couple pics attached.  Hope you enjoy and have success with your slide divers!   
IMG_1215.thumb.JPG.dfac0e3d77e45a231e5c9374d870e156.JPG
IMG_1216.thumb.JPG.1eae2c6f8bdea332aff1ab8747e44075.JPG

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I've put two #1 slide diver outfits together using 80# pp braid and 100ft of 20# Seaguar red box fluorocarbon for the diver to slide on. I've been trying to find a dive chart that can get me in the ballpark. The charts on slidediver.com don't seem to have complete information. the one they sell only goes to 50 ft and they don't give the components wire or braid. The other one that's available is with 50 lb pp and a 4 oz weight but doesnt tell me what rings if any they're useing. Does anybody have a chart that would get me close to my target depth using the ring sets? They also make a 7oz weight set that that they say will get you to 110 ft but no details that I could find??? Thanks guys!!

I called U-Charter and they don’t have dive charts for the Ultimate Pack (7oz weight with ring). He said its a 2:1 ratio on a 1 setting. After that, he was just estimating.

So, I did my own testing on the Ultimate Pack.

On a 3 setting, you get 3:1. On a 6 setting you get 4:1. I did this using 50# PP and 2.5 SOG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slide divers are usually used for stealth (having the lure traveling quite aways behind the diver and boat. For 110 depth you probably don't need stealth so something like a Deeper Diver 124 mm (size#5) or a ringed magnum diver would get you down in that area quite easily and would probably be a more feasible approach. It is kinda like selecting the right tool for the job from the toolbox :smile:

• Like 1

Ah OK - then Three Dogs Down gave you  a good starting point. If you happen to have a Fishhawk TD you could verify your estimates using the general info he provided.

Three dogs down, thanks for that information on the 7oz weight I appreciate the information. What about the # 1 diver with rings what do you use for the large ring?

I bought the dive charts from FishUSA. They are in my boat in the barn. When I go choring today, I’ll dig it out and get some data rolling.

After looking at a number of the charts over the years there are some advantages to doing it yourself rather than totally relying on them because there are many variables that  may seriously affect the listed results such as underwater currents variations in boat speed from wind,  or your particular setup. They probably should be considered as "starting points" and they do help in that regard. if you are really after accuracy, constructing your own dive curves for your own boat and equipment can involve considerable time and effort but can be worth it in the long run as you may find a lot of surprises  in terms of differences from the printed charts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It didn’t take long. We have a 40’ flat in Frankfort MI that runs for miles. Auto pilot, set the dial, and slowly deploy. When it starts bouncing bottom record the line out number and the depth and speed.

Set the dial again and repeat. You’ll figure it out. Doesn’t take long. The 2:1 ratio with the Ultimate Pack on a “1” setting was accurate.

I tested both wire line and 40 lb braid. I used the larger ring on the divers when i tested them to try and replicate the size of my deeper divers that i was used to using. All you have to do is let your diver out to whatever line amount you want to test then clip on the TD and let it slide down the line to the diver on its own. I would either hold the rod parallel to the water or place it in the rod holder parallel to the water. It was easy to tell when it reached the diver becuase the rod top would start bouncing. When it does, just pop the diver and reel in the diver and look at the reading on the TD to see the max depth.

The only issue i ever had was when i went thru the motions of testing it with say 200 ft of line out only to find out that the TD didnt reset and would have to start the process all over again.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fishmaster on what setting did you test the diver? Did you always have enough time to get readings before the TD timed out? Can you tell me how you did the testing? Thanks!

You have plenty of time because it times out after 45 seconds. I used it to test my leadcores by letting out the cores and then clipping on the TD and letting it slide down to the lure and then checking the max depth.

I tested the slide divers on a 1 and 3 setting on several different days and in different directions On the same days to confirm the readings.

I switched to the lite bites because i primarliy fish for walleye on erie and they trip everytime so you wont drag any small fish around. If i only fished ontario for kings i probably would not have switched from my deeper divers.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app