My rod ok for downriggers?

Burger

So after looking thru some forums, I think I may have messed up with my selection on downrigger rods.

I bought 2 okuma blue diamond 8’6m (12-25lb) with convector 30s for my salmon rigger set ups...the taper said mod. slow so I thought that would be good for the rigger, but it seems sort of stiff when I bend it myself. Will these be ok??

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

9 hours ago, Burger said:

So after looking thru some forums, I think I may have messed up with my selection on downrigger rods.

I bought 2 okuma blue diamond 8’6m (12-25lb) with convector 30s for my salmon rigger set ups...the taper said mod. slow so I thought that would be good for the rigger, but it seems sort of stiff when I bend it myself. Will these be ok??

What model are the rods? 30 series reels are perfect.

In the future I would suggest going with Ugly Stick DR rods. A lot of Charter Captains  use them , not saying there word is gold. I run them off the two boats I use and could not be happier. Great action  ,unbreakable on the water , tips are touching the water when you load them up and with the light action a ball to catch any size fish out there.

• 1 month later...

I ran those for eyes several years ago, nice looking rod but the gold colored eyelits began falling out, kinda weak eyelit altogether.. Kings will prolly destroy them

I also think those 8.6 rods will be to stiff for the rigger, I ran 2pc 7.6 Okuma dypsie/rigger rods with convector 30s for my rigger set-up...

I'm not a pro so there is that...

On 1/17/2021 at 7:35 AM, HB2 said:

I would think they should be perfect . 

I don't like them too  slow so you can muscle up the bigger kings and Lakers . 

HB, when you say " to slow" do you mean to much flex...??

I consider slow is as the flex of the rod starts just above reel seat . I have a few rods with slower action that I use for spring Brown's that I put away when I'm after kings . But I used them for years and got kings on them . 

What you have are designed by Okuma to be downrigger rods so they should be perfect 

Action is how the rod bends, power is stiffness or resistance to bending. There are no industry wide standards to either, but usually just what a company designates a rod to distinguish it relatively among other rods it offers.

That being said a rod labelled 12-25 lb test line is on the very high power end of what people generally use for a rigger rod. 1 or 2 classes less powerful, such as 8-17 or 10-20, would be considered more desirable by most people.

I consider slow is as the flex of the rod starts just above reel seat . I have a few rods with slower action that I use for spring Brown's that I put away when I'm after kings . But I used them for years and got kings on them . 

What you have are designed by Okuma to be downrigger rods so they should be perfect 

thanks

I ran those for eyes several years ago, nice looking rod but the gold colored eyelits began falling out, kinda weak eyelit altogether.. Kings will prolly destroy them

I also think those 8.6 rods will be to stiff for the rigger, I ran 2pc 7.6 Okuma dypsie/rigger rods with convector 30s for my rigger set-up...

I'm not a pro so there is that...

Ok thanks