Going lighter for browns

I just picked up some lighter trolling rod and reel combos at Cabelas yesterday and wanted to know what was a good line weight to use for browns? In the past I used my salmon rods and tied 15lb flourocarbon leaders on. It seemed to work but not much of a fight on those heavier rods. Would I increase my chances by going with maybe 10 or 12lb instead? I just don't want to go to light that if I hook into something with serious fight in it and loose the fish with break offs even if my drag is set right. Just wondering what has been working for you guys out on the lake with regular success.

Chris,

It is almost time, the river is open and Mike is putting docks in I hear. As far as main line, if you are not going to run these rigs for salmon, then go with 12 lb, I use Big Game, but there are many other brands out there. Then I will use lighter leaders, anywhere from 10 down to 8 florocarbon. If the water is stained you can get away with the main line, but if it is clear, you will want floro, will up your odds for sure, esp when the crowds show. Give me a shout this weekend on the cell, and I will try to help if you have any more questions. Won't be long now.

Rich

For chasing browns you can get away with anything from 8-15#. Things will get real exciting when you hook into something else when fishing really light line.

I was leaning towards the 12lb test. I had good luck with the Berkley big game 25lb last year on salmon. Last year I would tie on 15lb flouro, but maybe will drop down to 8 or 10lb this year. Thanks guys.

I'll see you in May Rich! Sent you a PM.