Church walleye board keel weight

You leave it on to balance the board. It can be adjusted or positioned fore and aft depending on how the waves are or whether you are running something with a lot of drag.

15 hours ago, Sk8man said:

You leave it on to balance the board. It can be adjusted or positioned fore and aft depending on how the waves are or whether you are running something with a lot of drag.

Hi Les;

Wondering how you would adjust the weight based on drag.  I have moved the weight all the way forward from the first use, & haven't ever changed it.  Typically pulling deep diving stick baits with up to 4OZ of weight attached.  When would you slide the weight to the rear position?

Tks in advance

John

If too much weight is causing the board front end to rise up in the air the weight needs to be adjusted forward. If the front edge is digging into the waves too much it can be adjusted back a bit. For most situations I leave it dead in the middle. I can run a 300 copper or 10 color with it in this position usually but anything bigger than that I run them from ;larger boards.

The reason I asked the initial question is bc I have the church tx6 and tx12 boards. The 12's don't have a weight from what i remember. They run fine with a stick or a spoon.  I might occasionally use leadcore with the walleye boards but also might use them with mono while trailing a stick or a spoon just like the 12's. Does anyone ever take the weight off the walleye board while trolling with mono? 

I troll for walleyes and browns with a mix of walleye boards and the tx-22's. I moved the weight all the way back on all of them. I did this to get them to troll smoother. I felt the walleye boards would dig the nose in and lag, loading up the rod, then surge when the rod pulled back at it. By moving the weight all the way back, the nose came up and they run smoother and more consistent. They also run lighter in the water. I like this because I run 4/ side and want them to swing to the center as far as possible when I have a fish on. By disengaging the nose of the board, they can pull back way easier.

With that said, I suppose deep divers and big weight would be problematic the way I have them set up. If/when I do that, I would only use the tx-22's on those lines. I think they pull better.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah gotta slide the weight forward a bit when pulling heavy snap weights especially.  Seems more sensitive to snap weights than leadcore...prolly from the line angle off the back of the board.  If running real light stuff like shallow running stick baits or spoons I slide the weight back.  This can keep the nose up and keep it from wanting to dive under in big waves...in calm water it doesn’t much matter.  Church boards def seem to sit a little lower in the water and can be a little bit more finicky to set up than the offshore boards.  I think they plane out a bit better/don’t drop back as far as the offshore tho.

• 5 months later...

kind of off topic by when walleye fishing with 3 in lines per side using all the same setups on each rod, is the outside rod the longest lead off the board or the inside

I run longest setback and shallowest running lure the outside, with shorter setbacks and deeper running lures as you get toward the boat….avoiding line tangles is all about the line angle coming off those boards.  I do not run 3 leadcore lines off each side….I think for leadcore you want your shortest core on the outside with your longer deeper cores off the inside.

Warning tho that big walleyes can break your spread no matter how good your spacing is.  This 11lber ate the outside board and stayed deep (as big ones will do), and got under my middle snap weight.  Some slick work by the net man got him in the boat.

B3257691-0044-49E0-9196-03C8D57F0827.jpeg