Cold night river bite!

lyk2fish

The river fishing has been hit or miss, conditions are great in terms of water clarity, but the bite has not been consistent during the night. Sometimes its early and sometimes late. Justin and I have been dividing and trying to concur a good fish bite but we have learned one thing.....no pattern yet this year and not as many big fish yet. One night he hits, another I do.......its just how it is this year.....and it's not the same locations, so being mobile is key, more you cover, the better your chances. Ice on the rod tips mean one thing to me.......good thumps will come. Friday's cold and wind with a hint of the moon coupled into a great bite that gave me a first good fish of the winter. As I have always said when the moon goes bright get your lures deep and dark. This was the case and around midnight when I got a thump that was a bit different than the others. Lately these hopeful thumps have been carp I've bumped and lost lures to, so my expectations weren't high until the reflection of that eye graced my headlamp vision. Finally a good fish at 27.5 inches! Not super girthy, typical of the river sometimes, but she had the feed bag on none the less. No 30'z yet but they are out there. She'll fight another day and get bigger. Tight lines all.

20210122_225301.jpg

• Like 6