Flasher and Fly on finger lakes

Thanks for the reply guys! I have two 8 in Spin doctors and was running spoons 24 back and often catching Lakers any time I would get near the bottom![emoji846] I stopped using them and started going for rainbows and walleye on spoons. I still get Lakers but it's more of a mixed bag... Pete can you tell me a bit more about the flys and where to get them?

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

https://fiddleheadfocus.com/2017/04/25/sports/sh-mainelyoutdoorscol-17-17/

Long Time Fisherman, here is a link that shows the kind of flies I use.  I tie my own.  You'd have to mail order them from places in Maine or New Hampshire.

Many years ago I bought tandem flies from the fellow who managed the Fly Fishing shop at Bass Pro. He tied the flies himself and mailed them to me. I believe his name was Mike Ditomaso (?).

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Here is a picture of the most common set up for a spin doctor (and flashers).

That shows a traditional/common trolling fly and a spin doctor.

Spin doctors and flashers roll in a circular motion.

There is an item called a dodger that is similar but only moves side to side. 

(I run my tandem flies (the ones like Pete's) bare with no attractor (no flasher,dodger or spin doctor) near the surface spring and fall)

BlueMist.jpg

And to return to your original question - yes we use flasher fly combos regularly on the Finger Lakes. They seem most successful mid to late season for me.

Edited by 58Johnson
added info

I just use a little smaller size of my own Lake O flies on 30 lb mono instead of 50 lb behind small dodgers or spin doctor

flies.jpg

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 58Johnson said:

Here is a picture of the most common set up for a spin doctor (and flashers).

That shows a traditional/common trolling fly and a spin doctor.

Spin doctors and flashers roll in a circular motion.

There is an item called a dodger that is similar but only moves side to side. 

(I run my tandem flies (the ones like Pete's) bare with no attractor (no flasher,dodger or spin doctor) near the surface spring and fall)

BlueMist.jpg

And to return to your original question - yes we use flasher fly combos regularly on the Finger Lakes. They seem most successful mid to late season for me.

So with the tandem fly how do you set it?  Add some split shot or a short core?  I've heard others speak of setting it on mono just behind the kicker motor wash.

• Like 1

Some of my sources for trolling flies.

http://www.trollingflies.com/flyselections

https://rangeleyflyshop.com/collections/types?q=Tandem%20Trolling%20Streamers

I've tried tying my own based on some of the patterns at Rangeley. A few turned out pretty ugly, but still caught fish.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pete Collin said:

Long Time Fisherman,

Let me know if you can't find any source of trolling flies.  I don't tie them to sell, because I was never fast enough to make any money at it.  But I offer them to guys who invite me on their boat.

You are welcome on my boat anytime you like

• Like 1

Good sites... fair pricing... but if you live close to Auburn, Mike at BassPro is still a great option. Also hands on can matter... size, color or shape can sometimes be distorted in pictures. He'll have a great selection and knolege there and you won't have to bother with shipping.   FYI.. some of the worst, ugly flies I've ever tied cought more fish than the pretty ones... lol

• Like 1