Flasher and Fly on finger lakes

26 minutes ago, peptalk said:

Good sites... fair pricing... but if you live close to Auburn, Mike at BassPro is still a great option. Also hands on can matter... size, color or shape can sometimes be distorted in pictures. He'll have a great selection and knolege there and you won't have to bother with shipping.   FYI.. some of the worst, ugly flies I've ever tied cought more fish than the pretty ones... lol

You cant beat experienced local knowledge... just like buying cheap, it isnt cheap anymore if you gotta buy it twice.

• Like 1

Thanks peptalk I'll check Mike out. I live close by and I like to support local businesses when I can... hopefully I'll get my second Covid vaccine soon. Should be a blast on light maybe 8 lb mono or braid with a light fluorocarbon leader!!

Mike is still at BP last time I was there... he ties the best flies... you can put customized order with him also.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks kempie. I don't have any real desire to sell them as I like to spend my time actually fishing:smile: I have given out many of them to friends though and if we happen to run into each out there I'll try to have one available for you :smile: The damned things seem to work pretty well though on everything from lakers to kings and silvers.:lol:

• Like 1

kempie,  If you really want to get the most enjoyment of fishing you should make your own lures. Here is a link to get you started making trolling flies.  You don't have to make a big investment and you don't need anymore than the basics to catch some pretty nice fish on the flies you make.  Once you catch your first fish on a fly you make you'll be HOOKED:smile: 

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/making_flys_directions.htm

The best part of making your own flies is that you can make them quickly as the conditions change and the fly pattern change along with them. They only take about 10 minutes to make and even less time once you get the hang of it. You read a fishing report on Friday, you make the pattern Friday evening for Saturday's fishing trip.:dance:

Yes, I made the fly and video.  I was too busy to dig out my trolling fly box and photograph them, so I posted this!

22 minutes ago, Long time fisherman said:

Pete thanks for the video! Did you make it? Beautiful fly!!! Amazing dexterity!

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

@Pete Collin - Nice video.   I like that you have the camera looking at the fly vice  from your point of view.   

So many videos are looking at the fly vice from across the desk and when the narrator says "my left hand", it's actually their right hand.... Confusing for simple minded folks like myself :-) 

• Thanks 1

I usually do not give out my flasher fly information however.I am covid landlocked and bored . I see other guys givin out info so I  will give out a little of what works for me. Its very different than anyone else.The rainbow in the picture is a Cayuga lake rainbow. It was caught on a atommic fly on 40lb test andie mono line pulled behind a 11"  Hot Spot flasher . Off a Mag dipsey  with wire line. You need the heavy line to the fly to get the fly whippin to trigger strikes. You don't get many bites but when you do its usually a dandy. 

Color, length of leads, speed all depends on time of day,, water color , time of year, and mostly luck ;)..  experiment

4 hours ago, Fishstix said:

"I usually do not give out my flasher fly information however.I am covid landlocked and bored ."

I know what you mean stix about being covid bored. You just have to improvise some days.   :$

can fishing.jpg

• Haha 1