Tablet Mount/Case for boat

FishingFool34

That's what i was hoping to hear.  I was thinking it would be cost effective to buy a smaller unit and use a larger screen tablet so didn't have to squint so hard... 

On 1/30/2021 at 10:08 AM, Baddad1 said:

That's what i was hoping to hear.  I was thinking it would be cost effective to buy a smaller unit and use a larger screen tablet so didn't have to squint so hard... 

Raymarine and Garmin can use the Captain Link App and mirror the screen to a tablet via wifi. I'm looking to add a 2nd screen to the back of the boat. I don't believe you can actually control the main headunit from the tablet (only display whatever is on it), which is fine for a 2nd screen mounted on the back of the boat. 

Edited by FishingFool34

45 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

Raymarine and Garmin can use the Captain Link App and mirror the screen to a tablet via wifi. I'm looking to add a 2nd screen to the back of the boat. I don't believe you can actually control the main headunit from the tablet (only display whatever is on it), which is fine for a 2nd screen mounted on the back of the boat. 

With Lowrance products you can use the "Link app" which is free and allows you to screen share to your iPad and you can control the main unit from the iPad which is pretty cool. Allows you to have a second screen without buying another $800 unit. I believe you can only do this with the Ti and HDS units though. I have a Ti and use it all the time. I keep my iPad at the stern sitting on the gunwale shelf of my boat, its not in a waterproof case but it probably should be. They make RAM mounts for tablets that you could install if you want it secured in place. This one is only $30 on amazon. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNrEHBTh1pHg8jPOjmS05UW0rr8Anu_GucuDWCYuItvjtvAN_VB3hR60i1_d6d7279HzMsBlEC&usqp=CAc

iPad.PNG

34 minutes ago, Great_Laker said:

With Lowrance products you can use the "Link app" which is free and allows you to screen share to your iPad and you can control the main unit from the iPad which is pretty cool. Allows you to have a second screen without buying another $800 unit. I believe you can only do this with the Ti and HDS units though. I have a Ti and use it all the time. I keep my iPad at the stern sitting on the gunwale shelf of my boat, its not in a waterproof case but it probably should be. They make RAM mounts for tablets that you could install if you want it secured in place. This one is only $30 on amazon. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNrEHBTh1pHg8jPOjmS05UW0rr8Anu_GucuDWCYuItvjtvAN_VB3hR60i1_d6d7279HzMsBlEC&usqp=CAc

iPad.PNG

OK I wasn't sure about being able to control the main unit or not... that may change setup honestly. Maybe the 9" Garmin on the back and my 12" ipad will go on the dash! Appreciate the info!

3 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

OK I wasn't sure about being able to control the main unit or not... that may change setup honestly. Maybe the 9" Garmin on the back and my 12" ipad will go on the dash! Appreciate the info!

No problem, hope it works out for you. Another suggestion is to install a usb charger hooked up to your battery near the iPad so it doesn't die on you out there. I just use one of these. Generator on the trolling motor keeps everything topped offAmazon.com: Linkstyle 12V 4.2A Dual USB Charger Socket Power Outlet with  LED Digital Display Voltmeter, Waterproof Dual Charging Ports for 12V/24V  Car RV Boat Marine Motorcycle Mobile- Blue

Had hoped to go to the CNY boat show and talk to Garmin/Hummingbird/Lowrance folks and see what they each had to offer, but... 

Sorry to have hijacked your thread...

Edited by Baddad1