Just a note on what I observed this weekend. Browns I caught this weekend were spitting up gobies like crazy. Some were stuffed with 3 or 4 gobies others had some in thier 3-4 inches. Stock more browns control the Goby population. Also, sea lampreys were bad, real bad. Almost every fish.

Tight Lines and Blackberry Wine

I agree if they eat goby that much they could be a good control device, also a good goby imitation could be a real productive lure....hmmmm, maybe I gotta check into some goby flies from jitterfly...the feather hair kind.

Gobies are good for the trout, walleye and bass for a food source but they will eat anything including perch, bass and walleye fry. Fish off one of the piers in Rochester with perch minnows and you will see what I mean.

Savant spoons has a pattern that is realistic. Rebel stickbaits in brown trout color. Storm has some colors of hot'n'tots and junior thundersticks that mimic the dull brown color. Yo-zuri makes a crankbait called Aile Goby (Bass Pro has them) that is probably the most realistic. Capt. Pete Alex's site Dreamsteelie.com has it's own custom version of a gobie spoon pattern. Aw hell, anything brown and ugly!!!!

The problem is from my understanding is the gobies rarely leave the bottom. I dont think they can suspend like other baitfish. So the key might be fish close to the bottom and lose lure. Or maybe I am over thinking it.

Yup.... I was long lining behind boards(100 ft or so) with floaters and still whack'em in 16-18 fow'

Keep it simple.... find the color of the day.... and go for it

Gobys do not have a swim bladder.They will hardly ever go higher than 12 inches above the bottom and even then they go straight back to the bottom.Trolling with goby like lures does not make a lot of sense.If you want to jig,do it close to structure like rock piles or harbor walls and the like.Never go deeper that 20 feet,beyond that you waste your time.

It is amazing how many bass and browns you will catch and how well fed these fish are.

The big drawback is that gobys hang out on the bottom exactly where lampreys wait in ambush to get to the fish that we are after.

It might not make a lot of sense to troll with goby like lures but I can assure you that trolling with them definitely WORKS, especially in tight in the spring! Goby patterned spoons & sticks were easily one of our most productive patterns last spring.

BartosApril262008016.jpg

BartosApril262008013.jpg

BartosApril262008003.jpg

Gobys do not have a swim bladder.They will hardly ever go higher than 12 inches above the bottom and even then they go straight back to the bottom.Trolling with goby like lures does not make a lot of sense.If you want to jig,do it close to structure like rock piles or harbor walls and the like.Never go deeper that 20 feet,beyond that you waste your time.

It is amazing how many bass and browns you will catch and how well fed these fish are.

The big drawback is that gobys hang out on the bottom exactly where lampreys wait in ambush to get to the fish that we are after.

I would think trolling goby patterns make more sense than not ttrolling them (when trolling shallow or near the bottom. One, a lure trolled off of the bottom looks like a stray baitfish and is easy pickings (on the bottom gobies can hide in rocks and clumps of zebra muscles). 2, trout (especially stream trout) can be very selective in what they are eating (match the hatch). Try fishing stream trout that stay in the streams all season and don't match the hatch. See how many fish you catch.

Well, the browns I caught apparently didn't read the book on gobies.....they were hitting goby lures 8 to 10 ft off the bottom :lol: ...Sorry couldn't help it......

Seriously, in clear water try the goby patterns......we did very well

I have had good results with a J-9 rapala (brown trout) in recent years, especially early in season in water less than 30'. I didn't consider the color and shape comparison to a goby but the color is right and it gets results.

I don't see how some of the spoons shown here in any way resemble the shape or color of a goby. IMHO. They do catch fish though.

I caught a real nice 2lb. smalley, while realing in a goby that took a softshell crab I was bottom bouncing, out not far from Braddocks last year. I've also witnessed perch up in the islands loaded with gobie-gut! I know Storm has some nice softbaits that have a gobie pattern, and Rapala has them in their series of stickbaits as well.