Marine Ice Chest/Cooler Suggestions

C3M

Hi Guys,

Im looking to upgrade my cooler. I plan to keep mine anchored along the swim platform. I'm familiar with the Yeti line of products that are commonly displayed at outdoor stores but am curious if others have success with different manufacturers that might come in under the price of a Yeti.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

27 minutes ago, C3M said:

Hi Guys,

Im looking to upgrade my cooler. I plan to keep mine anchored along the swim platform. I'm familiar with the Yeti line of products that are commonly displayed at outdoor stores but am curious if others have success with different manufacturers that might come in under the price of a Yeti.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

What do you want to use it for, fish? Igloo.

Edited by spoonfed-1

Damn spell checker keeps on changing my words. Meant to say 150 qt. It would be good for a swim platform mount. I currently have a 150 Rubbermaid that I purchased at Sam's about 10 years ago for about the same $ and still is in good shape.
The only problem with it is that it is difficult for one person to lift with anything inside because it is hard to open your arms enough to grab the molded in handles properly.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The big igloo coolers from sam's are the way to go if you are a cold water fisherman. They are the only coolers that are long enough to hold the big kings and the big lakers. I just can't see paying for the Yetis, the RTICs, etc and putting fish stink in them forever. If you put fish in it once in a while, maybe someone can scrub every little nook and cranny to get the stink out, but if it has fish in it all the time, it will forever be a fish box.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use RTIC on my boat. Call it the coffin. Very good for the price. I have a 20 for most trips and the truck, and a 65 for tournament days or when guys want to make a meat run. Very hard to beat for the money, IMO. Splash some bleach in it and your wife will never smell anything.

22 hours ago, guffins fisherman said:

The big igloo coolers from sam's are the way to go if you are a cold water fisherman. They are the only coolers that are long enough to hold the big kings and the big lakers. I just can't see paying for the Yetis, the RTICs, etc and putting fish stink in them forever. If you put fish in it once in a while, maybe someone can scrub every little nook and cranny to get the stink out, but if it has fish in it all the time, it will forever be a fish box.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use the igloos as well. Usually there is a spring sale at BJs for $65 for the 150 quart coolers. As for cleaning, I usually first put in a 50 gallon garbage bag and then ice and fish inside the bag. So no smell. If you still want it cleaner, there is a product called "spray nine" It will get it clean and odorless.

I have an 150qt Igloo cooler posted above for camping, and 2 Coleman marine 150qt coolers for camping/fishing.  I can tell you the Igloo does not keep ice half as long as the coleman.  They may be cheap but the coleman isn't much more and keep ice way better.  

YouTube has some great videos on insulating cheap Igloo and Coleman coolers with spray foam. The lids usually are not insulated on cheaper coolers. Using the low expansion foam is the key. I have not tried it but plan on doing so. Search it out

• Like 1