Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So I just pulled the trigger on four Okuma cold water CW-303D's that I intend to use for wire divers,  wondering if anyone might have experience with this set-up and what to expect with the standard drag.  Wondering if before I spool them up I need to consider upgrading the drag? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...  Guess I'll just have to think about this a bit more. Seems Andy at Tuna Reel Tackle is booked for the forseeable future so that leaves me with two options, do it myself or fahgettaboudit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Okuma Cold Water line counter reels are constructed upon a powerful star drag foundation including heavy-duty machine cut brass gears, dual anti-reverse systems and full Carbonite drag system with up to 7kg of maximum drag output, Okuma anti-fogging Clear View Technology.
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Baddad1 said:

Hmmm...  Guess I'll just have to think about this a bit more. Seems Andy at Tuna Reel Tackle is booked for the forseeable future so that leaves me with two options, do it myself or fahgettaboudit. 

Rochester reel repair might be able to help you.

My Okuma's creep a little bit but haven't had an issue with the drag fighting a fish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Charlie, and everyone else for that matter... Reels showed up today and thought I'd try a few tests to see how they respond. I chose them for the price point, but while researching them I did come across a few older posts that mentioned a couple issues. Thought I'd reach out and see if the problem had been corrected by Okuma or not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks Charlie, and everyone else for that matter... Reels showed up today and thought I'd try a few tests to see how they respond. I chose them for the price point, but while researching them I did come across a few older posts that mentioned a couple issues. Thought I'd reach out and see if the problem had been corrected by Okuma or not. 

The issue has not been corrected. To see if you have an issue do this... Spool up with some line. Attach end of line to something fixed. I use the handle of the vice on my work bench. Pull out line. Tighten down on the drag with the star while pulling out until there’s a fair amount of tension. Continue pulling out line while now loosening the drag without touching the handle. Most Coldwaters will still now have the same drag tension as you loosen. If you have the issue you will notice very little adjustment to the tension while loosening. Now give the handle a quarter turn and the drag will completely free up. Come back to me for the 90% correction if your reels exhibit the issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 8 of the Coldwater 453s and had exactly the same problem as described in the previous comments. Seemed to get worse after a year of use. After 2 years I called the Okuma office and complained. Even though they were out of warranty, I was given a repair authorization number to send back to Tuna Tony's. Talked to Andy on the phone and he said the new drag washer setup would solve the problem. Sent them out and had them back two weeks later. Just paid for shipping out. They are excellent now, no problems. At the time about 2years ago Andy said they don't sell Coldwaters any more because Okuma never fixed the problem. Don't know if they fixed it by now. I also have Covector 30s for spring browns. I have since installed the washers supplied by Tuna's and they are much better. Installing the drag washers is not difficult.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had some cv30s serviced and drags upgraded. The factory drags were indeed carbon drags. Was informed that the biggest issue with these reels is the lack of a quality drag grease such as Cals not the drag washers themselves.FWIW. like night and day difference !

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just had some cv30s serviced and drags upgraded. The factory drags were indeed carbon drags. Was informed that the biggest issue with these reels is the lack of a quality drag grease such as Cals not the drag washers themselves.FWIW. like night and day difference !

This is one contributing factor. See the post on the Rochester Reel Repair Facebook page from last Feb for the full description. The spring washer orientation is a bigger contributor in my opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites

Slayer et al., had a few moments to not only read the Rochester Reel Repair Facebook post on the Cold Water Reels, but to also check two of my own new reels. First off I truly want to thank you for that great tidbit of information. Excellent read and useful to know the belleville washers spring load may be causing too much load on the drag in connection with the wrong viscosity of grease.  Easy to understand how a little dust, dirt and possibly heat could cause things to act up.  Fortunately for me at this point, both reels seem to function as advertised.  However, perhaps because it's cold outside, I have decided to get some  Cal's Reel Grease and clean/re-lube as well as change the spring load on all the reels before I have them spooled. Thanks again to everyone's thoughts and comments. I still believe the CW series is a great choice and worth the extra $10. bucks... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 8:33 PM, Sam N. Slayer said:


The issue has not been corrected. To see if you have an issue do this... Spool up with some line. Attach end of line to something fixed. I use the handle of the vice on my work bench. Pull out line. Tighten down on the drag with the star while pulling out until there’s a fair amount of tension. Continue pulling out line while now loosening the drag without touching the handle. Most Coldwaters will still now have the same drag tension as you loosen. If you have the issue you will notice very little adjustment to the tension while loosening. Now give the handle a quarter turn and the drag will completely free up. Come back to me for the 90% correction if your reels exhibit the issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Got ten of those reels 303ds and hate the fact you can't loosen the drag under pressure of a big running king. Is there a fix?  Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, anniep said:

Got ten of those reels 303ds and hate the fact you can't loosen the drag under pressure of a big running king. Is there a fix?  Thanks

All of these reels have done this from right out of the box. Love the reels hate the drag.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...