19 strand wire

I prefer 19 strand to 7 strand. I find it’s diameter difference irrelevant. It’s softer, easier on guides, frays before breaking giving you an opportunity to affect a repair instead of losing gear; it’s extra initial cost is saved the first time you find and repair a bad spot instead of losing gear. You can also tie some knots in it without linking and breaking.

Other people will tell you they prefer 7 (or something else) and they will have their reasons.

What really matters is what you think, why not give it a try and find out if you like it.

19 strand is more foregiving especially for newer users.  it is less kink prone and can be used with a normal rod tip.  

that said the strands are thinner and single strands can break easier so have to keep an eye on it for damage but that really is true of any and all lines not just wire.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to try a wire diver rod this year and have a couple questions. Can you repair broken strands on the 19 strand wire, or the seven strand, or is the line trashed once you get a break in it? On one of the above posts the info was that the 19 strand wire was softer and you could use a regular rod tip. I'd like to use my lead core rod rather than use a seven strand and modify a rod tip with a roller or twili tip. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:55 AM, Tony G said:

You guys liking it?? Do the normal dive charts work?? Is it much bigger diameter??

Same diameter so the dive charts are also the same. It is also easier to tie knots but really how hard is it to tie an overhand knot in anything???

I set up four diver rods, ran it for one season, and it left me scarred. As a result of just a single strand breaking we would have to cut back the line and retie. By the time the season ended each reel had substantially less line on it than it started with and were in need of being completely respooled. Now I realize my gear might get punished more than others but I feel this is unavoidable by most. I honestly dont remember the last time I broke a single strand on 7 strand wire but it is common with the 19 strand. No need to reinvent the wheel... 7 strand all the way for me.

I'm with Rob and that one. I've used seven strand for more than 45 years and if it is terminated carefully and treated right it is highly dependable and effective. With that said it can be abrasive to rod eyeletes but selecting the right rod for the job a twilli tip or roller tip reduces that problem greatly. I have some 60 lb seven strand on a couple of Seth Green rigs on roller tipped rods that is nearly 40 years old and  have never had a problem with them.